JOB TITLE: Senior Applications Engineer
DEPARTMENT: IT (Information Technology)
REPORTS TO: Director of Software Development
DATE: November 2021
The Senior Applications Engineer will work closely with the Web/Applications Developer, the server and infrastructure personnel, and external web consultants in the support and management of the organization's websites and applications. The Senior Applications Engineer will establish user applications requirements and participate in coding and user acceptance testing of the web applications and other in-house applications. The candidate should be motivated to pick up new technologies and support the Museum's current technologies. The responsibilities for this role will include identifying of gaps in current processes, assisting with designing, testing, and deploying end to end technology solutions, and supporting the organization's requirements and other strategic initiatives.
- Manage software development initiatives, support various software projects and digital products, and lead the management and configuration of commercial as well as in-house software applications.
- Participate in code review and technical documentation development for the various Museum digital pieces and coordinate with consultants and third-party contractors regarding any identified gaps/bugs found in code/documentation as applicable.
- Develop and manage custom software applications, including database administration responsibilities to ensure the optimized and efficient function of all custom applications, and establish user applications requirements, code the necessary changes, and complete user acceptance testing.
- Assist in development and maintenance of the organization's internal and external websites and web applications.
- Work closely with the developers towards accessibility testing requirements and implementation of WCAG compliances.
- Create, document, and manage test plans, test cases, and automation scripts.
- Support comprehensive testing procedures for websites and web applications.
- Support and maintain the organization's centralized collections management system and donor management software.
- Work on formalizing the requirements for website feature enhancements running on Drupal and participate in user acceptance testing before deployments to production servers on the hosting cloud.
- Troubleshoot any reported issues with custom applications built for the in-museum exhibits and roll out patches/upgrades and any other licensing requirements.
- Create technical documentation for the supported applications and assist with new product launches.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience of 3+ years working with the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP).
- Strong Unix/Linux skills.
- Proficiency/experience in some of the programming languages such as PHP and Python.
- Hands-on experience working with databases such as MySQL or SQL Server.
- Experience working with Business Intelligence platforms such as Pentaho is a plus.
- Experience in configuring/developing web services.
- Comfortable with deploying code to GitHub or other cloud repositories as well as testing of the code commits by Developers.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services, Acquia, and Microsoft Azure environments is a plus.
- Experience with development/deployment/user acceptance testing on Drupal or WordPress content management systems preferred.
- Knowledge/expertise with website assistive technologies such as NVDA, JAWS, or Narrator is a plus.
- Expertise with deploying mobile apps to iPhone and Android stores is a plus.
- Experience working with analytics tools is a plus.
- Experience working with custom interactive application frameworks such as Python Flask or Adobe Air is a big plus.
- Comfortable with using tools such as JIRA, Confluence, Slack, Zoom, and Teams in day to day communication.
- Knowledge of Apache JMeter/Jenkins is a plus.
- Ability to pick up new technologies with ease.
HOW TO APPLY
- Include job title in the email subject field.
- Please indicate the location where job posting was seen.
- Please submit a resume and cover letter
- Please visit our website at .
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described in this job description are representative of those that the employee will encounter and are expected to meet to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to see, be mobile, and have the ability for 2-way communication with the public and staff.
The work environments are an indoor, climate-controlled office environment comprised of cubicles, walled-offices and group conference rooms, an indoor, climate-controlled retail environment comprised of displays, artifacts, and inventory stock rooms, an outdoor facility open to the public and surrounded by construction sites, and a museum area currently under construction. The noise levels in the indoor environments are usually low. For the outdoor facility and the museum area, the noise level can be high. There are no protective devices necessary to be worn or utilized in the indoor work environments. The construction sites require safety equipment (provided for) and are often noisy and dirty. Minimal travel is required.
- This job description is a descriptive list of the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position and are not intended to be all inclusive. Employees are expected to also perform other business related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management.
- The organization reserves the right to change, modify, or reassign job responsibilities, duties and scheduled work hours as per business needs.
- This document is a communication tool and not intended as a written or implied contract of employment.
- provided by Dice