Your Role & Mission
We are hiring a Staff Product Designer to help craft the future of Apollo. Product Designers are vital in helping us learn, test, and iterate to build the best experiences possible for our users. We appreciate designers who think deeply, speak clearly, love collaboration and feedback, and are always learning about best practices to master their craft!
Our Product Managers, Design, and Engineering teams are structured as Squads focused on several product core features. While working on one squad, you will be assigned to a product group alongside one Group Product Manager and one Engineer Director. You will also regularly collaborate with designers or design leaders from other groups to share learnings and ensure a cohesive user experience.
Daily Adventures & Responsibilities
- Planning with Group Product Manager and Eng Director at the beginning of each quarter.
- Providing planning guidance to your team.
- Working with the Product Manager on your squad to help brainstorm, build & validate solutions to user problems & goals.
- Working with Engineers on your squad to understand constraints, handoff designs, and run design QA.
- Collaborating with your squad during Weekly Sprint planning & Daily Standups to ensure that we build the best experience.
- Collaborating with other Designers to provide feedback, share + learn best practices & maintain a cohesive experience in the product.
- Interviewing users to validate designs & learn about user problems.
- Using & building upon our design system to update portions of your surface.
- Collaborating with your squad to identify the highest impact areas to work on, develop hypotheses, test, and iterate.
- Consistently integrating quantitative and qualitative data into essential product decisions.
- Reviewing and coaching your small team.
Skills & Competencies
- 8+ years of experience designing and shipping complex web-based products founded in data and customer insights.
- You have expert design instincts & best practice knowledge to translate user problems, user goals, business objectives, and technical constraints into excellent product experiences to deliver quick turnarounds & shorten feedback loops.
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment, working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- You have experience creating and maintaining components across multiple product surfaces in Figma.
- You are a voracious learner, constantly trying to learn how to improve customer experience and drive core metrics. Continuously learns new industry standards, staying up to date with how to get the most out of modern design tools, including Figma.
- You are passionate about typography and copywriting and know how to write a simple, compelling microcopy to support your UI design.
- You’re experimentation-oriented – You can conduct user interviews, analyze the results of interviews, form hypotheses, test hypotheses with users via prototypes or product experimentation, and iterate.
- No big ego – we can uphold excellent rhythms within our Product Management, Engineering & Design squads because each member has respect for each other and has a shared understanding of the goals, vision, and principles that Apollo operates on.
- You’re highly interested in user-centric design – we like to push each other to stay at the cutting edge of our field :)
- Lead a small team.
- Content design experience.
- Brand design experience