YOUR ROLE AND MISSION:
As a Staff Software Engineer at Apollo, you will take the lead on directing and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems. Your work will extend to many parts of a domain and may begin to influence your entire department or domain. Your team's work will align engineering priorities to Apollo's business and engineering priorities to realize the meaningful impact. You'll improve the overall quality of engineering done on your team and consistently take steps to support the growth and the success of your teammates.
Participation in key technical decision-making discussions such as sprint planning, software design, and code reviews
- Create the technical roadmap for Apollo's Prospecting (Search) product by incorporating heuristics or machine learning based solutions.
- Own some of the most challenging and impactful projects in the areas of search relevance, query understanding, search ranking, and recommendations.
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on the team in the search engine domain.
- Own parts of our search engine infrastructure and continue making it more robust and scalable.
Help build and scale a world-class engineering team by interviewing and referral.
Hold systematic weekly 1:1 touchpoints with engineers to deliver and receive quality feedback
Setting technical direction and overseeing engineering projects working along with CTO on deciding the technology roadmap.
Mentorship and sponsorship - best way to grow those around you is by creating an active practice of mentorship and sponsorship. Maintaining relationships and developing a positive team culture
Provide objective and helpful quarterly performance feedback for engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of relevant work experience in software development.
- Experience in software development using a general-purpose programming language (e.g., Java, Python etc).
- Experience architecting and developing distributed systems design.
Great to have: Familiarity with Big Data Technologies, Ruby on Rails, React, MongoDB, and ElasticSearch, DevOps; Experience with Web scraping.