Your Role & Mission
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will have the critical leadership role of enabling
excellence, productivity, and growth within Apollo's engineering organization. You crave the
opportunity for hands-on mentorship, and to accelerate not only your career, but for those of
your team as well. Your responsibility would come in several forms, including but not limited to:
● Help the team define, set, and adhere to goals and expectations
● Drive a culture around excellence, learning, and fun
● Critically observe and improve development and management processes within Apollo
● Work closely with key stakeholders such as the CTO, Product Managers, and Designers
to deliver high quality software at a rapid pace for an ever-increasing user base
● Change, and be a part of key decision-making processes within the engineering
Daily Adventures and Responsibilities
● Participation in key technical decision-making discussions such as sprint planning,
software design, and occasionally code reviews
● Help build and scale a world-class engineering team by sourcing and hiring candidates
● Hold systematic weekly 1:1 touch points with engineers to deliver and receive quality
● Work with engineers to develop and execute on personalized goals
● Conduct objective and helpful quarterly performance reviews for engineers
● You love scaling up through well-written documents and well-defined processes. As a
remote first company, documentation is critical to our hyper-growth and success.
● You are compassionate, put people first as a mentor, and are tactful with both accepting
and delivering criticism to others.
● You have the leadership skills to think and execute strategically but are not afraid to get
your hands dirty when needed.
Your technical understanding of engineering systems, especially related to data, is
second to none.
● You can relate to and admire Apollo’s values of Ownership, Integrity, Curiosity,
Excellence, Teamwork, and Fun.
Skills and Relevant Experiences
Great to have
● Familiarity with React, MongoDB, SQL, data warehousing, and ElasticSearch.
● Experience with data platforms (Snowflake, Databricks, Airflow, Looker, etc.).
● Experience with Web scraping.
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack is React/Redux/NextJS on the front end,
Ruby/Python/MongoDB/ElasticSearch/Redis on the backend, and Kubernetes/Docker/Terraform for Infrastructure.
Read our advice on how to answer the most common interview questions.