Data entry jobs are perfect for people who want to work remotely, have a busy schedule, and need a flexible job. Remote data entry is becoming more popular as it allows people to work from home with no dress code and work at their own pace on their own terms.
Remote data entry is an easy option to earn a side income as the work is monotonous, making it easy for anyone to take up instantly with a minimum skill level. You fix your rate and hours per day you want to work, giving you time to attend to your everyday chores in a remote data entry position.
What is Data Entry?
Data entry is the process of entering data into fields in a spreadsheet, typically with the help of data entry software. A data entry clerk is an individual who enters the information via phone calls or face-to-face contact with customers. Data clerks are often required to have strong typing skills and some previous experience to become qualified for this job description.
Professionals in data entry play a vital role in helping companies collect and organize facts and figures, maintain records and databases, maintain day-to-day business operations, and keep accounting, computerized, and archived information up to date.
Data entry jobs are prevalent and can be done remotely for many companies. Each company will have its own requirements, but typically each job will require you to enter information into given fields on a web page or fill out a form that you find on the company website. Then, all you need is internet access and to be able to type quickly!
Remote data entry jobs can be done:
- Full-time – When working for a full-time remote data entry job, you are expected to dedicatedly work for one company only.
- Part-time – When working for a part-time remote data entry job, you don't have to work for only one company but are still obligated to work for a few hours. You can do freelance data entry at other times.
- Contracts – In contract remote data entry jobs, you are expected to work for a company for a specific time on a contract basis.
What skills do you need for Remote Data Entry job?
The top skills that are necessary for a remote data entry clerk are:
1. Fast Typing Skills: Remote data entry jobs require a good typing speed to input large amounts of data in a short period of time. One needs to be comfortable using input devices such as a keyboard and mouse to get fast typing skills.
2. Basic Computer Skills: Remote data entry clerks need to know basic computer skills and how to run essential softwares like Excel, Word, spreadsheet, etc., to perform their primary job of feeding data into the software. You may also need to learn how to use database software, CRM systems, etc.
Also read: Tips To Work From Home Like A Boss
3. Verbal and Written communication skills: It is crucial to have excellent written and verbal communication skills and good grammar and spelling knowledge to get high-paying remote data entry jobs. Data entry operators respond to calls from customers and thus requires proper remote communications skills to do so. You should be able to interact with people from all job positions.
4. Accuracy and Attention to detail: You must be highly attentive to details to do a remote data entry job to focus and concentrate on completing your assignments. Fast and accurate feeding of data requires close attention to detail from a data entry clerk.
5. Research and data collection: Almost every data entry job position needs Initial research, and data collection. A remote data entry clerk requires basic research and data collection skills such as finding reliable sources of information, accumulating relevant information, analyzing, and using data collection tools and techniques.
6. Organisational and Team-working skills: Data entry jobs require a lot of work to be done in a short period of time; therefore, good organizational and time management skills are a must. Though you will be working from a remote location, team-working skills also make an important requirement for a remote data entry clerk. Team-working skills include assertive communication and listening skills and respect for teammates.
How much do remote data entry jobs pay?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that a data entry job provides an average hourly wage of over $16 an hour—well above minimum wage. Choose the best-paying remote data entry jobs according to your skills.
Is an online data entry job safe?
Legit data entry jobs are available and just need to be checked thoroughly before applying. Also, before accepting an offer, you must verify the job listings and that they are from well-established companies.
Unfortunately, many online work-at-home data entry jobs could be scams. Any data entry position that promises high pay and asks for personal information, especially bank account information, should be avoided. Verify that you're dealing with a legitimate company, using these tips to prevent data entry job scams.
Companies That Hire for Legit Remote Data Entry Jobs:
1.Axion Data Entry Services — It is one of those legit companies with many openings for remote data entry jobs.
2. Clickworker — Become a part of a pool of folks who complete tasks for their clients for tasks such as data entry, proofreading, copy editing, web research, and surveys with clickworker.
3. AccuTran Global — It is a transcription company because brings on independent contractors to do services like data entry jobs and many more.
4. DionData Solutions — DionData Solutions is currently looking for Data Entry Professional Operators who type with a high degree of accuracy.
5. The Smart Crowd — They have registered workers with a pool of available micro-tasks such as data entry, proofreading, etc.
6. Appen — It provides search engine evaluator jobs and various micro-task positions that involve data entry and data collection.
How to find the best remote data entry jobs online?
You can search for the best remote data entry jobs on various online remote job boards and freelance websites as mentioned below:
Remote Data Entry jobs website #1: DailyRemote
It is a remote job board with jobs available in various fields from marketing to software development to data entry. You can also search or go to the "Data-Entry category" to find data-entry job opportunities here.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #2: Fiverr
It is perfect place for data entry clerks as many businesses are looking to hire for data collection, research, and data entry tasks. There are a lot of opportunities for you here.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #3: Indeed
It primarily focuses on traditional in-office roles, but they post more remote and virtual roles every day. Search with remote, virtual, or work from home-related keywords for data entry jobs online.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #4: Upwork
It is one of the largest freelancing websites in the world and has remote data-entry jobs for all experience levels. You'll have to bid on proposals to find a position, and Upwork will take 10% of any payments you receive.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #5: LinkedIn
It is primarily focused on traditional roles, but you can find quality and legit data entry jobs along with the networking benefits here.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #6: Freelancer
It is a freelancing platform where businesses and individuals can hire freelancers to work as data entry clerks, virtual assistants, and more.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #7: Flexjobs
It is an online job board that lists work from home opportunities flexibly, including remote, freelance, and part-time roles. You can search for data entry jobs here.
Remote Data Entry jobs website #8: PeoplePerHour
It is a popular job site for freelancers, virtual assistants, and data entry clerks. You can access the proposals from the pool and pitch yourself for the job, set et hourly rates, or directly search for prospective clients.
Data entry isn't the most challenging job, so if you're looking for a side income to pay the bills or an extra gig to cover your dues, industry trends show this field will be robust.
Therefore a remote data entry position with the perks of working from home can give you the best of both worlds—a way to earn money and the flexibility, tons of benefits, and work-life balance that comes with working remotely. Keep in mind to avoid these mistakes while applying for a remote data entry job.
Further, you can review our guide to see how companies hire remote employees. If you are searching for a remote job and don't know where to look? Finally, join like-minded people in our LinkedIn and Facebook community.