Military Veterans are Encouraged to Apply.
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we're committed to our work, our customers, having fun, and most importantly to each other's success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
We are seeking a highly motivated and hardworking teammate to take initiative and ownership of key projects related to building a best-in-class and scalable global trade compliance program. You will be joining Splunk's growing Compliance, Employment & Risk team and will be integral to helping grow and scale the Legal department, and in turn will have an amazing opportunity to develop professionally. This position can be remote and will report to Sr. Director, Compliance Counsel.
This position will support our Ethics & Compliance function, with a primary focus on implementation of a best-in-class global trade compliance program. This person will advise on global trade issues worldwide and provide support for the company's global operation, focused primarily on export controls. This requires building relationships,driving strategy across multiple functions, and anticipating evolving risk in an international market.
We are seeking a person who is highly collaborative and entrepreneurial to meet our goal of embedding trade compliance internal controls into the everyday activities of the business. This position requires a high degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive; and the ability to develop relationships of trust and confidence both within and outside Splunk. The ideal teammate will be flexible, creative, and self-motivated, with initiative and perseverance, resourcefulness, a strong work ethic and the ability to maintain a sense of humor. We are looking for a person with demonstrated business sense and legal judgment, and the ability to be both strategic and detail oriented.
The candidate must have: (Required Qualifications)
- Development and implementation of the following, in collaboration with business leaders: 1) written policies, procedures and guidelines;2) global trade training;3) strategy and plan for compliance assessment and monitoring; 4) processes to track and report compliance; and 5) processes to ensure continuous improvement of Splunk's program.
- Provide day-to-day proactive global trade law advice, assistance and counseling.
- Advise on a variety of export controls and sanctions topics, such as encryption, classification, commodity jurisdiction, licensing, and "deemed exports."
- Counsel on changing export regulations and the impact on our business; assess impact of legal requirements on Splunk's compliance and risk framework and strategy.
- Track and report on status and effectiveness of the global trade compliance program.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships in order to assess and anticipate emerging risk areas across the Company.
- Partner with Splunk's Product Team on classification of Splunk products and development of necessary internal controls.
- Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues in the U.S. and globally to facilitate a coordinated team approach.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and member in good standing in any state bar.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience in global trade compliance, with an emphasis on export compliance.
- Strong knowledge of the export regulations and control issues related to software, encryption and the cloud environment.
- Significant experience with: Commerce Department Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions; U.S. anti-boycott laws, State Department International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Prior experience working at or with technology companies.
- Comfortable handling multiple projects and transactions in parallel, often with short deadlines.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Possess the drive and ability to balance working autonomously and collaboratively in a highly dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interface and partner successfully with stakeholders at all levels and varying functions of the Company.
- Flexible and creative, with the initiative to contemplate multiple solutions to issues and to proactively and reliably drive complex projects.
- Ability to travel (domestically and internationally).
- Sense of humor!
- Experience in a fast-paced multinational B2B or enterprise software company with a channel sales model preferred.
- Experience with anticorruption laws.
- Combination of both in-house and law firm practice experience.
- Experience creating and conducting formal presentations and training internationally.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
(Colorado only*) Minimum base salary of $125,000. You may also be eligible for incentive pay + equity + benefits.*Note: Disclosure per sb19-085 (8-5-201 et seq).
Thank you for your interest in Splunk!