AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products, conductor accessories and fittings, and related services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and has grown to include every facet of the passive optical network, employing over 5,000 associates worldwide and consistently generating annual sales in excess of a billion dollars.
In April of 2019, AFL made a major investment in ITC Service Group, a Sacramento-based company providing broadband installation, design and staffing services to the telecommunications and IT industries.
ITC Service Group was founded in 1999 and provides managed services and workforce solutions for the nationwide planning design, construction, installation and maintenance of voice, data and video networks.
AFL and ITC were built and are operated on similar core values and philosophies. This will prove extremely beneficial to our customers and our employees.
With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL "Connect" you to your next career opportunity!Job Title:
Transport EngineerJob Summary:
As a Long Distance (LD) Transport Engineer you will be responsible to define, engineer, and resolve network capacity requirements for long distance ultra-long haul and OTN mesh network. You will be utilizing high capacity next generation light wave and wave division multiplexing technologies to meet network services capacity, vulnerability, diversity and growth requirements supporting LD transport capacity demands for both internal and external capacity drivers. Perform equipment engineering for network augments. This includes developing the specifications required for installation, turn-up, inventory, and configure the equipment, obtaining appropriate management approvals, issuing purchase orders, creating applicable diagrams/ drawings, and ensuring vendor delivery.Responsibilities:
- Support new customer circuit requirements including engineering system work, detailed equipment analysis and costs, engineering and operations labor costs.
- Responsible for providing detailed diversity analysis for internal and external groups in support of future customer orders, mesh network growth, and converged core data networks.
- Create diversification projects based on user group requirements.
- Perform wavelength rearrangements as needed to reduce stranded network capacity.
- Research and deactivate unused network systems.
- Coordinate with real estate/central office equipment to ensure adequate power, space and cooling are available to support network growth and expansion.
- Support 12+ month network transport forecast of network builds to capital planning and detail multi-year programs for DWDM platform decommissioning.
- Coordinate with GTNOC and provide ad-hoc restoration for priority systems in the event of cable outages.
- Coordinate with lease contracts organization, capital planning, engineering, project management, operations/RCAT, and internal management to provide recurring reports to detail project progress and identify areas where attention is needed to progress projects.Required Skills/Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or 4 or more years of relevant work experience.Desired Skills/Experience:
- A degree in engineering or related field.
- 5 or more years of experience in the telecommunications industry.
- Excellent knowledge of PC and software application including Windows and MS Office.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple, often conflicting priorities to their successful completion.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills for inter-organizational communications to both internal and external partners.
- Experience making independent decisions based on policies, practices and project requirements.