WatchGuard embraces a flexible working philosophy. The majority of our employees currently work remotely. When it is safe to reopen our offices, we will offer our employees the flexibility to work where they are most productive - from home, the office, and anywhere in between.
This position can be located in Greater Toronto Area or remote within a North American time zone (Canada or USA).
About the Position
As a full-time remote Technical Writer at WatchGuard you'll join a distributed team of dedicated writers and trainers based in Seattle, Toronto, and remote locations across North America.
Technical Writers contribute to the development and production of Help content, UI text, API documentation, integration and setup guides, training materials, and knowledge base articles in support of all WatchGuard products. We work collaboratively and closely with software engineers, UX designers, product owners, program managers, and the WatchGuard technical support team.
We thrive in a fast-paced environment and know that our work is highly valued by our colleagues and customers and has a real impact in the world. The content we create helps our customers protect their users, data, and networks from attack and respond to breaking threats such as ransomware, viruses, and malware. WatchGuard understands the importance of high-quality technical documentation and the WatchGuard Help Center receives thousands of page views every day.
The Technical Writer position reports to the Technical Documentation Manager.
A Day in the Life of a Technical Writer at WatchGuard:
No day as a WatchGuard Technical Writer is the same. We juggle short and long-term projects with competing deadlines, and manage a backlog of documentation tasks in Jira.
To start your day you could write a KB article to explain a breaking issue, or attend a demo of new product features. You might install a new software build or log in to WatchGuard Cloud to explore new functionality, then chat with engineers or the product owner about new features so you can start to write draft content in Flare.
Late morning could find you in a writer meeting to collaborate on improvements to WatchGuard Help Center. Next, another writer might ask you to help them review UI text for an upcoming feature. Then, you might go back to your draft help topics, checking files into source control and updating Jira tasks for the work you completed before you finish the day.
* Write clear procedural, conceptual, and reference content to describe WatchGuard software, cloud-based services, and hardware products
* Research new product features, write original documentation, and edit and update existing documentation
* Contribute updates to WatchGuard Help Center to support weekly releases of cloud products
* Work closely with Engineering and UX teams in an Agile development environment
* Review UX designs and suggest UI text that helps users and is clear and consistent
* Become an expert in the WatchGuard products and feature areas assigned to you and own all related product documentation
* Contribute to the creation of new training materials, video tutorials, and certification exams
Skills and Qualifications:
* MadCap Flare, or similar XML-based authoring tool, such as XMetaL or Oxygen
* XML, HTML, CSS editing skills
* Snagit, Visio, or other graphics package
* Knowledge of version control, such as Perforce, Git, or Subversion
* Knowledge of wireless or networking technologies, multi-factor authentication, network or endpoint security, or cloud technologies is a plus
* BA/BS or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Five years technical writing experience
* Experience working with Agile development teams
* Experience writing for network administrators or IT professionals is a plus
* Experience with cloud computing, web services, SaaS is a plus
* Experience writing training content is a plus
* Experience writing REST API reference documentation is a plus
* Experience with localization is a plus
Why Work for WatchGuard?
At WatchGuard we create smart security, simply done. We're a leader in building cyber security hardware, wireless, and cloud solutions that protect small and midsize businesses, and distributed enterprises worldwide. Our award-winning network security solutions provide layered, enterprise-grade protection that is easy to deploy and manage. Whether you are an industry veteran, or at the beginning of your career, now is an amazing time to work in the security industry, and there's never been a better time to be at WatchGuard.
We love solving the industry's toughest challenges, and our innovation keeps our customers ahead of increasingly sophisticated hackers, which has fueled record revenues. We're heavily reinvesting in the company and driving rapid acceleration across all aspects of our business. As a result, our employee base has nearly doubled in the last three years, organically and through acquisition.
Our company culture places intense focus on our customers and employees. From the newest employee to our CEO, you'll find that each person at WatchGuard embodies our core values: accountability, passion for success, community building, and maintaining a customer focus in all things.
WatchGuard Technologies is privately backed by equity firms Vector Capital and Francisco Partners, and has headquarters in Seattle, Washington, with offices throughout North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
WatchGuard participates in E-verify.