Back to search
Sr Tax Accountant (REMOTE)
Inver Grove Heights, MN, US, 55
Date posted: Oct 28, 2021
Job ID: 3460
CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States that provides grain, food and energy resources to businesses and consumers around the world. We serve agriculture customers and consumers across the United States and around the world. Most of our 10,000 employees are in the United States, but today we have employees in 19 countries. At CHS, we are creating connections to empower agriculture.
Gather appropriate financial and tax information to complete various federal, state and local motor fuel tax returns. Administer other aspects of fuel tax area such as state tax audits, G/L reconciliations and journal entries between systems. Identify tax saving opportunities, possible errors on previous filings and file amended returns or appropriate claims. Troubleshoot customer problems, provide answers and or assist with adjusting invoices. Advise and instruct other business units such Energy, Propane, Renewable Fuels Marketing and Advanced Fuel Delivery as to problems and or opportunities that effect tax filings or accounts. Maintain the various Tax systems that determine taxability and tax, manage exemption certificates and licenses and compute and prepare motor fuel tax returns
* Prepare and file complex monthly state fuel tax returns and support the compilation of the federal excise tax return. Collect and analyze data from fuel activity reports, the general ledger and business units. Reconcile data by gallons and dollars. Prepare motor fuel returns utilizing Avalara Returns Excise software. Create the file returns.
* Reconcile fuel tax accounts and create required journal entries. Assist with the identification of and compliance with internal controls.
* Support business units and customers in regard to motor fuel taxes. Respond to questions regarding rates, licenses and applicability of tax to transactions. Assist with credit/rebills as necessary. Coordinate and support fuel tax audits
* Research tax law, communicate necessary changes, maintain JDE tax determine logic and rates, AvaTax Returns Excise scenarios and profiles, and motor fuel exemption licenses and registrations.
* Support other indirect tax compliance, systems, and special projects.
Minimum Qualifications (required)
* Bachelors degree in Accounting or Taxation
* 3+ years of multistate motor fuel tax experienced, focused on compliance
* Experience working with SAP
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
* A strong sense of ownership, high attention to detail and a commitment to excellence
* Working knowledge of Avalara Returns Excise and AvaTax Excise
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting or Taxation
* Certified as a Public Accountant (CPA)
* Lean Continuous Improvement Certification
* Experience working with SAP S/4HANA and or JDE 9.0
* Intermediate to advanced experience working with Microsoft Excel, Power BI and Power Query
* Competency participating and leading tax process and system improvement and automation
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation, 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance.
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Effective January 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires employers to conduct a pre-employment verification full query against the newly established License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse prior to beginning employment in a position that requires a valid commercial driver's license (CDL). Candidates seeking employment in a position that requires a commercial motor vehicle license must voluntarily enter their information into the FMCSA and must provide disclosure authorization, at the time of offer, to CHS or an authorized third-party agent of CHS to verify the information.