About the Security Team:
The mission of the Security Engineering team at dbt Labs is to provide clear, opinionated security guidance and scalable, secure-by-default offerings to engineers for the purpose of securing software development and enabling pragmatic risk decisions at dbt.
Our small team size and wide scope of responsibilities require that we work intelligently to address the security needs of dbt’s products. We aim to put yesterday’s problems behind us through a mix of OSS/COTS solutions for commodity problems and using ingenuity to solve the rest.
As an engineer on this central team, you will have the opportunity to own outsized impact on how securely engineers at dbt are able to build software and infrastructure.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Perform application and/or infrastructure security assessments and develop remediation strategies.
- Partner with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure security maturity work is being prioritized and addressed.
- Eliminate classes of security problems by shifting detection and prevention left in the development workflow.
- Identify new opportunities for improved security posture across the organization and lead those efforts to success.
- Build and deploy automation tooling for the monotonous work so you can focus on the fun stuff.
- Conduct security investigations across complex cloud environments in response to incidents or bug bounty submissions.
- Provide mentorship to other security engineers, including 1:1 mentoring, demos, and training topics.
- Be part of the team’s weekly on-call rotation.
- Play a pivotal role in maturing our application and infrastructure security programs.
- Move quickly and never stop learning (we have a training budget of $5k/person/year).
You are a good fit if you:
- Have 4+ years of professional experience in software or security engineering.
- Have an engineering-focused approach to solving security problems at scale.
- Use data to assess risk, determine priorities, and measure impact.
- Can demonstrate specialization in application security or infrastructure security.
- Have worked asynchronously as part of a fully-remote, distributed team.
You may not be a good fit if you:
- Are not comfortable writing and reviewing code on a daily basis (e.g., Python, Terraform).
- Don’t have experience building or securing distributed systems on public clouds (we currently use AWS and Azure).
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $175,000 - 225,000
- Equity Stake
- Benefits: In the US, dbt Labs offers unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!), 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, paid parental leave (16 weeks), wellness stipend, and a home office stipend. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with Hiring Manager
- Technical Screen (Scripting)
- Team Interviews:
- Secure System Design
- Technical Security