Vir Biotechnology is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Senior Scientist, reporting to the Director, Clinical Virology, to join our Clinical Virology team and contribute to pre-clinical research and clinical development of novel therapies for infectious diseases. You will manage clinical virology activities for non-clinical studies, support virology endpoints for clinical trials including characterization of viral resistance, and support pharmacology contributions for regulatory submissions. You will work cross-functionally across research and development groups within the company to advance programs through clinical development. You will be on-site at our San Francisco facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- You will manage virology activities for non-clinical studies to support clinical virology deliverables and meet regulatory timelines.
- Conduct important scientific research to develop novel infectious disease therapies and interpret experimental data to determine follow-up activities.
- Oversee establishment of assays and experiments, and analysis of data to support clinical trials, including assay development in-house or outsourced, through implementation into clinical programs
- Investigate the feasibility of applying several scientific principles and concepts and/or development strategies in research and development.
- You will support clinical virology activities for clinical trials, from study start up through study report delivery, including representing virology in study management and clinical sub-teams
- You will manage external contract research labs to support clinical virology deliverables, including working cross functionally to meet timelines and budgets for clinical virology assays.
- Author clinical virology reports, pharmacology reports, and sections of clinical and regulatory documents.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD with 5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent degree/experience in virology, microbiology, or a related field.
- Background in respiratory viruses and/or other chronic viral diseases required
- Proficiency in cell-based virology and molecular biology techniques, including assay development. Experience in cell-based viral quantification, viral sequencing, and viral resistance is highly desirable.
- Prior experience managing scientists or contract labs
- Experience supporting clinical trials and/or working with clinical samples highly desirable
- Ability to work in a high paced inter-disciplinary and cross functional team environment, meet deadlines and prioritize work from multiple projects.P
- Strong communication, project management and organizational skills are essential.
The expected salary range for this position is $151,000.00 to $199,000.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors.