What you’ll do
As the Senior Manager, Software Engineer for Scout Motor’s digital products, you will be responsible for leading multiple teams of highly skilled software engineers and driving the development of digital solutions for our customers and business partners. Some of the key products as part of digital portfolio are – order management, customer management, marketing, production, inventory and planning optimization, loyalty, merchandise, servicing and repairs, mobile app, vehicle connectivity, and more. You will work with engineering leaders, senior engineers, and cross-functional partners to define the engineering strategy and lead the execution of the multiple products, platform and systems. At the same time, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to be hands-on building key systems and will be directly responsible for the successful delivery of complex and large-scale technical efforts as well acting as a mentor and leader for other engineers.
Become part of an iconic brand that is set to revolutionize the all-electric pick-up truck & rugged SUV marketplace by achieving the following:
- Partner with cross-functional and cross-organization partners (product, design, IT, marketing, etc) to produce digital products engineering strategy and execution plans to support systems and product requirements. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation.
- Lead engineers & technical leaders across the company to ship interoperable products and systems on strong foundations that manage customer interactions inside and outside of the vehicle.
- Assess and recommend key tools and technology decisions that will power the digital product ecosystem. Influence decisions on build/buy/partner, contemplating today’s needs, and future enterprise requirements.
- Develop and support engineering culture through building best processes, policies and practices that enables scalable, functional, and reliable software products.
- Develop both short-term and long-term goals for the team, prioritize roadmap and lead the team to execute.
- Identify, scope, and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale, and taming complexity and shoring up reliability of existing systems
- Champion software engineering and operational excellence, establishing and improving metrics and processes. Set a high bar for engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Build champion teams by hiring the best, calibrating teams and developing career plans for the team members.
Location & Travel Expectations: The responsibilities of this role require attendance at in-person meetings and events regularly. Remote, U.S. based applicants will be considered, however, preference will be given to applicants based near a Scout Motors location in Columbia, SC; Detroit, MI; San Francisco, CA or Tyson’s VA. Applicants should expect that the role will require the ability to convene with colleagues in person and to travel to participate in company events from time to time.
What you’ll bring
We expect all Scouts to have integrity, curiosity, resourcefulness, and strive to exhibit a positive attitude, as well as a growth mindset. You’ll be comfortable with change and flexible in a fast-paced, high-growth environment. You’ll take a collaborative approach to achieve ambitious goals. Here’s what else you’ll bring:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering. Building and scaling software products and backend systems, providing technical leadership and direction for development, preferably with a focus on ecommerce, payments, digital products, and back-end platform development.
- Hands-on system design skills, comfortable with navigating codebases with different languages and familiar with devops practices.
- Knowledge of security best practices, potential system vulnerabilities and how to prevent them.
- Experience operating in start-up settings, launching 0 to 1 product, supporting early low-code tools, and driving graduation to highly customized applications.
- Experience as a technical lead for large projects (6-12+ months in length), including defining the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions.
- Ability to internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Experience integrating with 3rd party platforms and partnering with external service providers.
- 5+ years in leading and managing high-performing software engineering teams. Direct evidence of the ability to guide, motivate, and inspire a team towards the successful completion of complex projects.
What you'll gain
The benefits of joining Scout include the chance to build products and a company from the ground up. This is a chance to create something new and lasting – with an iconic brand at its foundation. In addition, Scout provides competitive compensation and benefits to support your physical, mental, and financial wellbeing. Program specifics are detailed in company policies and employee benefit guides, select highlights:
- Competitive insurance including:
- Medical, dental, vision and income protection plans
- 401(k) program with:
- An employer match and immediate vesting
- Generous Paid Time Off including:
- 20 days planned PTO, as accrued
- 40 hours of unplanned PTO and 14 company or floating holidays, annually
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave for biological and adoptive parents of all genders
- Paid leave for circumstances related to bereavement, jury duty, voting time, or military leave
- Corporate Vehicle Program with:
- Eligibility for 1 assigned vehicle and to lease 1 vehicle at competitive rates
- A mobility stipend
This is a full-time, exempt position eligible to receive a base salary and to participate in an annual performance bonus program. The salary range listed represents the maximum and minimum starting base pay for this position as of the time of posting. Final salary offered will be determined based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience. The annual performance bonus program is preset and not candidate dependent.
Initial base salary: $220,000 - $240,000
Internal leveling code: M7