This role can be based at 200 Wilmot Rd. Deerfield IL or as a remote work from home arrangement.
Provides leadership and management over teams responsible for the architecture, development, and delivery process of a modern, cloud first web application front end. Identifies, evaluates and resolves business and technical issues. While not directly responsible for the backend data and services that feed the web app, acts as a partner, thought leader, consumer, and stakeholder, collaborating with those backend teams as well as Product, UX, Consulting Companies, and Project Management for best-in-class, customer-centric outcomes. Possesses extensive technical and leadership talent with strong analytical reasoning, problem solving, and collaboration skills. Must have a passion for building exciting, dynamic team cultures with an emphasis on quality and technical excellence.
* Manages efforts of teams responsible for front end web application engineering and delivery. Leads the Front-end Engineering teams to ensure high quality code, industry best practices, accessibility, and on time delivery of a brand new cutting edge micro-front-end.
* Collaborates and shares information cross-functionally to improve workflow processes, software quality, and the success of our H3 products. Sets expectations with partners, creates SLAs, and prioritizes the activities of the Mobile Engineering teams based on business objectives and customer needs.
* Manages the architecture and development of application views, flows, and experiences.
* Defines and drives the creation, documentation, and delivery of a reusable component-based library and the micro-frontends created from these components.
* Looks for new opportunities to do things better, smarter, and/or more efficiently. Champions innovative thinking, app performance, process improvements, and high quality. Provides expertise, suggestions, and guidance on various topics relevant to browser-based app development such as cookie/local storage standards, XSS prevention, technology stack, and frameworks.
* Acts as a guardian of technical excellence and delivery integrity, protecting quality (app and code), performance, scope, and timelines through a thorough understanding of the product vision and the technical needs of the app while acting with honesty, forethought, and transparency.
* Works cross-functionally to develop a project plan and a risk management plan for frontend engineering to deliver business needs and product requirements on schedule and within budget
* Utilizes a proactive and responsive approach to problem-solving. Provides reasoning about complex problems and applies experience to new domains.
* Creates staffing plans based on current and forecasted need and takes action to draw great talent by crafting an exciting culture where people can thrive.
* Manages budgets, operational plans, critical risks, and performance requirements for Frontend Engineering group. Responsible for meeting budgetary goals and objectives.
* Stays in touch with cutting edge web technologies, modern methodologies, and user expectations
* Oversees the creation, propagation, and documentation of engineering standards, best practices, and processes.
* Plans and drives implementation of CI/CD and TDD practice within the mobile engineering teams.
* Always acts as a mentor and guide for other managers and engineering team members.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
Walgreens () is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. As America's most loved pharmacy, health and beauty company, Walgreens purpose is to champion the health and wellbeing of every community in America. Operating more than 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving approximately 8 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with platforms bringing together physical and digital, supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in local communities nationwide.
* Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years of experience in software engineering OR a High School Diploma / GED and at least 9 years of experience in software engineering
* Experience with web application engineering, accessibility, browsers, and security concerns/best practices.
* Experience translating business objectives into consumable tasks that individual contributors and managers can deliver iteratively.
* Experience setting expectations and delivering software based on those expectations transparently, on time, and according to scope.
* Experience integrating with services, collaborating on service contracts, and setting expectations around optimization of micro service consumption for app performance.
* At least 2 years of experience in a cloud environment such as Azure or AWS.
* At least 2 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
* At least 3 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
* Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
* Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle as well as best practices and Agile software development.
* Experience with componentized web architecture.
* Knowledge of pros and cons of most modern frontend frameworks/libraries such as Angular, React, Vue, Polymer, LIT, etc
* Experience building Cloud Native web applications in Azure.
* Knowledge of web usability, accessibility, and WCAG 2.1/ADA standards
* Experience with container deployment (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
* Experience with both Angular and React.js. Ideal candidate has deep understanding of native web components, Polymer, or LIT
* Experience integrating machine learning into apps.
* Experience establishing & maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, including executives.