8116 - Midtown Office - 2220 W. Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia, 23220
CarMax, the way your career should be! ABOUT THIS JOB:
The Solutions Architect is responsible for designs and oversight of applications for their assigned team(s). This involves the uniformity of application implementations under their influence, proper performance of those applications, and the team's developed solutions are within enterprise direction. This position will be responsible for ensuring that software developed meets CarMax® architectural and quality expectations and requires a knowledge about all applicable business processes.
The Solutions Architect works with the Enterprise Architecture team to develop standards and design patterns. This position will work with various IT teams to champion the adoption of patterns, platforms, and architectural tools.
Solutions Architect provide mentorship and are asked to provide positive and developmental feedback and capitalizes on teachable moments to grow others. This position is responsible for the technical training of associates.Solution Architect for an industry leader
At CarMax, we want to disrupt our industry by empowering customers to buy a car on their own terms - allowing them to transact with us anytime, anywhere. As a solutions architect, you'll be at the forefront of driving technical innovation alongside several product teams who are creating a seamless online experience for our customers and associates. You are:
Able to balance customer needs with business goals and know how to deliver technical solutions that enhance business value. Creative, curious, and highly analytical, you never stop learning and thrive on constant change in the digital marketplace. From inception to completion, you will develop tools and technology, partnering with multiple teams. Overall, you will have a direct impact on improving the performance of our business and ensuring customers can discover the vehicles that are right for them.We are:
A team of experts (such as a Product Manager, Lead Developer, Delivery Manager, Analyst/Data Scientist, and other Software Developers), working in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, and customer-focused environment to bring a seamless online shopping experience to life. Together we'll be:
A passionate technology team, developing ground-breaking products. Working collaboratively and creatively as part of a close-knit product team, you will be part of the development process from end to end: consulting users, carrying out experiments, tackling complex business problems and implementing new products. What you will do - Essential responsibilities
What technologies you'll be working with
- Lead a team of talented engineers to deliver the next generation of SEO capabilities.
- Facilitate discussions and influence architects, teams, and business partners to create new services for our product teams.
- Machine learning, OpenAI, and other self-learning technologies
- Hands-on development on the services, APIs, and other capabilities
- Guide and mentor engineers our product teams
- Participate and influence in an environment including discovery, design, development, and testing
- Stay on top of industry trends and best practice to continuously improve what we do and ensure our customer experience is the best it can be
- Actively participate in the fun, trusting culture of CarMax where candor and integrity are essential and freedom is provided to operate independently, putting people over process and control.
- Learning, designing, and implementing architectural styles and patterns into our products to solve common problems with online systems.
- Audit responsible product teams for performance, cost and quality improvements while increasing our pace of experimentation and innovation.
- Discover technology trends in the industry to inform partners on what is entering and exiting the market.
- Understand our customer personas and their journeys throughout the online car buying cycle, making data driven decisions.
- Evaluate our competitors, presenting findings and recommendations from market data.
This role requires hands-on work in technologies such as Azure PaaS
(Functions, App Services, App Insights, Structured/Unstructured data storage, Redis, and others), .NET Core
or Azure DevOp
s for CI/CD, Akamai
edge, load testing / automated testing tools, Splunk
, and API management
systems.Qualifications and requirements
- 8+ years of application development experience
- 5+ years in a principal engineering or architect role
- Deep knowledge in architecture designs and patterns of online systems
- Extensive experience in Microsoft Azure
- Experience with API design, microservice architectures, and messaging paradigms highly preferred
- Solid understanding of DevOps capabilities such as automated testing, continuous integration, and continuous delivery preferred
- A degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to mentor and develop others
- Exceptional communication skills
- Posting: Role (Remote)
- "Work location is flexible if approved by the Company except that position may not be performed remotely from Hawaii or Colorado"
- Candidate must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis. Sponsorship will be considered for this specific role.
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
CarMax is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe, welcoming, and inclusive work environment.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, and any other characteristics protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.