SOFTWARE ENGINEER-Traffic Engineering (Mesh Service)-REMOTE OK
Splunk's Cloud Infrastructure organization builds robust and resilient auto-scaling platform solutions for hosting Splunk's enterprise software. The teams are fast-paced, high-velocity, and use state-of-the-art technology. The focus is always on automation, solving complex challenges that span across multiple groups within Splunk, ensuring smooth and expedient services to Splunk users.
We have a substantial multi-region AWS and Kubernetes presence supporting large-scale containerized systems which communicate using Istio service mesh. This is an incredible opportunity to utilize your existing cloud experience and drive the growth of the Splunk Cloud. What we're looking for
Splunk's Cloud Infrastructure organization is expanding our service mesh (Istio) capability to support our next generation global SaaS offerings. We are looking for Software Engineers with strong networking and problem solving skills to assist with the implementation, and operationalization of new features in our service mesh offering. What you provide
- Istio or linkerd service mesh experience. You understand service mesh fundamentals and use cases.
- Linux Networking. Strong understanding of linux networking fundamentals including iptables, conntrack, eBPF. netns, virtual interfaces.
- Kubernetes Networking. Understanding and experience with CNIs such as Calico, Ingress, and NetworkPolicy.
- L3/L4/L7 Proxies. Experience with Envoy, HAProxy, Nginx, AWS ALB / NLB.
- Cloud and container experience . Building and scaling secure container services on different cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.) is a plus. You will use Kubernetes and containers in various cloud deployments
- Expertise in designing, implementing and delivering software for internet traffic management. Technologies include (Geo)DNS management, GSLB/Anycast, Load Balancing (IPVS, L4, L7), API Gateways and Service Meshes, IP address management (IPAM), TLS infrastructure for securing network communication.
- Ability to work with multiple programming languages . We have code in several languages, ranging from Go to Python to Terraform. In this position you'll be mostly using Go.
- Distributed programming. Experience in working on and debugging distributed systems like CDNs, databases, data replication, etc.
- Drive for automation . You constantly consider, "How can I automate this manual process?"
- Intellectual Curiosity. You have a passion for exploring, learning and prototyping new technology.
- Knowledge of technical excellence. You know continuous delivery, testing , security practices, performance, and disaster recovery.
What we provide
- Operational excellence. Data excites you and you make decisions based on numbers rather than assumptions. If an issue arises, you strive to be alerted before our customers notice.
- Keeping calm and carrying on . Capable in navigating through a product outage, skilled in identifying performance bottlenecks, spotting anomalous system behavior, and figuring out the root cause of incidents.
- Desire to learn and adapt . Our agile team has a lot of projects going on at once, and you will have the opportunity to learn to navigate the code and features. You will constantly be learning new areas and new technologies.
- Passion . Our customers are passionate about Splunk and we want the same from our engineers. We want you to actively own your work and be excited about your projects.
- Opportunities to develop and grow as an engineer . We are always expanding into new areas, working with open-source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A team of incredibly capable and dedicated peers , all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You are interested to work on an area that dynamically scales to meet the needs of Splunk's cloud offering. You want to go deep into optimizing how we automate every manual process and tedious task we encounter.
- Growth and mentorship . We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe that mentors help both sides of the equation.
- A stable, collaborative, and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, work together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs for the team. We keep it real by being open and honest. We are a collaborative team that understands the value in open communication-it's how we interact with our customers.
- Balance . We don't expect people to work 12 hour days. We want you to be successful outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment, and believe that balance helps cultivate a positive environment.
- Fun . We are committed to having every employee want to give it their all, be respectful and a part of the family, and have a smile on their face while doing it.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.