Remote (anywhere in the UK)
Length of employment
2 x 10 month, 1 x 9 month and 1 x 4 month
About the job
Are you an experienced Software Engineer who has a genuine ambition and aim to succeed?
Would you like to work with leading serverless and cloud based technologies?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are recruiting software developers, to work with us and help us build services that reach over 49 million people a year. In this role, you'll work in an agile delivery team alongside lead and senior engineers to build modern, cloud-based services.
This is an exciting time to join us, as one of the agile, cloud and technological leaders within the government, we are constantly pushing boundaries to find, develop and introduce new and innovative technological advancements. We work with a range of industry leading solutions including serverless, Docker and Kubernetes on a modern cloud platform.
We've been creating serverless solutions for several years and currently build enquiry APIs, utility and application services using serverless Node.js and associated technologies. If you think this sounds like a good challenge, please get in touch.
For our core business services, you'll be working with Java and SpringBoot alongside tools like OpenAPI. You don't need to be a specialist in Java but you will need a passion for creating clean, maintainable and secure applications using an object-oriented language.
As part of our ongoing mission to support and develop all staff within the DVLA, we will help you to achieve certification in areas such as AWS and Java, as well as giving you the freedom and support necessary to perform in your role and continuously develop your skill set. We're looking for hardworking and motivated people with the right experience to join and help us grow. You will be working alongside our cloud infrastructure colleagues where you'll get to collaborate and participate in cross-team events and communities. As part of our ongoing mission to support and develop all staff within the DVLA, you will be given a high spec Macbook and we will help you to achieve certification in areas such as AWS and Java, as well as giving you the freedom and support necessary to perform in your role and continuously develop your skill set.
Some of the projects you could be working on in the future include:
• New driver and vehicle services, allowing citizens to manage their licences and vehicles.
• The DVLA digital payment service that helps us collect around 6 billion pounds a year.
• The Tachograph services used to register and maintain data on all of the UKs professional drivers.
• API's that allow car retailers to issue registration numbers and capture the registration of all new vehicle sales in the UK.
include but are not limited to:
• Developing software within an agile software development team.
• Ensuring good engineering practices and knowledge sharing within your team.
• Working closely with business analysts and agile delivery managers to prepare and review user stories and tasks.
You will have one or more technical passions such as Java, front-end development, security or serverless.
To be successful in this role you will need experience working as a software engineer across multiple teams and projects. You will also need experience developing software using modern technologies and tools. You will need to be comfortable in using modern CI/CD tooling. You will have a tried understanding in IT based languages such as Java, Ruby/Ruby Rails, C#, C++ or a related subject area.
You need to have a passion for modern software development technologies and standard methodologies. You would need to have had to communicate with engineering peers and business partners.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
• We encourage a great work-life balance
• Best in class Learning & Development
• Digital communities
• Generous salary and pension
• On-site gym plus personal training
• On-site nursery, restaurants and coffee bar
• 25 days holiday, (plus bank holidays) increasing by 1 each year (up to 30) & 1 extra day for the Queen's birthday
• Range of staff groups to support all our colleagues
• Free parking
• Buy and sell annual leave