We are looking for a skilled and enthusiastic Java engineer with an enquiring mind, to help us build a global platform that will form a backbone of American Express's regulatory compliance landscape. We are building the platform as a set of microservices communicating via a mixture of synchronous APIs and asynchronous messaging, as well as an Angular/Express user interface. This approach allows us to grow and evolve our technology stack and take advantage of innovative solutions. Java is the core technology but we need someone who understands a range of associated technologies and has a proven ability to get to grips with new ideas quickly. We work on a mixture of greenfield development and integration with existing enterprise solutions.
Joining the UK-based KYC, AML and Regulatory Reporting Technologies team, this role will be focused on driving the development of innovative solutions to satisfy the needs of our business - as an agile team we work closely with our business partners to understand what they require, and we strive to continuously improve as a team - we all have a role in accelerating our delivery of high quality reliable and resilient code, and that means taking control of our complete delivery pipeline.
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse team within a diverse organisation with fantastic scope for career progression, either technical or people focused. The software engineer will be part of "Know Your Customer " scrum team but will have opportunity to work across the portfolio. The role will include, but is not limited to:
- Greenfield development using a micro-service, cloud based containerised architecture
- Identifying DevOps opportunities to streamline the deployment pipeline and increase the ability of the team to be in control
- Refactoring and migrating legacy code
- Understanding the capabilities and usage of other systems, including the Amex Big Data platform
- Troubleshooting problems by debugging and log analysis, and identifying ways to avoid or simplify troubleshooting through improvements to monitoring, alerting and self-correcting code
- Taking full part in agile activities and working with an agile mindset of continuous improvement
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
- Ability to create clean, high quality, well designed and well tested code in one or more languages
- Experience and strong understanding of Java Technologies, Spring, and ideally knowledge of other JVM languages such as Kotlin and Groovy
- Experience and understanding of associated systems and supporting frameworks - version control, build automation, and ideally containers and container orchestration, as well as familiarity with *nix based operating systems
- Experience of relational databases, Hadoop and associated technology, API use and design, and messaging, ideally with experience of Apache Kafka
- An understanding of security of data in transit and at rest, and an appreciation of application security vulnerabilities and how they may be mitigated
- University degree or equivalent experience
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on .