We are in search of a Software Development Manager III to lead our Verification Infrastructure Team, which is a specialized unit within our identity verification organization. This team is responsible for modularizing common functionalities and creating shared, secure services and APIs that are used to power our identity verification flows across various projects and teams. The Manager's role encompasses building and overseeing a team of 4-10 engineers and focuses on not just technical tasks but also key leadership functions. These include team development, performance coaching, and long-term strategic planning. This managerial position is pivotal in maintaining technical excellence while fostering a cohesive, high-performing team.
- Team Building: Assemble and manage a team of 4-10 engineers, ensuring the right mix of skills to meet project objectives.
- Coaching & Development: Conduct regular 1:1s and provide constructive feedback to team members. Manage performance through quarterly and yearly reviews to guide professional growth.
- Strategic Planning: Exercise significant influence in defining the team's long-term goals by participating in roadmap planning sessions with engineering and product leadership.
- Problem-Solving Collaboration: Collaborate with team members, product managers, other engineering teams, and leadership stakeholders to tackle critical customer issues effectively.
- Technical Oversight: Lead high-level technical discussions and decisions. Act as a mentor by providing code reviews, critiquing architecture documents, and leading knowledge-sharing forums across teams.
- Application Ownership: Take on the responsibility for shipping releases, participating in on-call rotations, and spearheading incident response strategies.
- Hands-On Contribution: Be prepared to occasionally dive into code for debugging or accelerating the team's progress, although you won't own features as a manager.
- Resource Management: Allocate engineering resources efficiently to achieve a predictable roadmap delivery, adjusting the sprint schedule and backlog as priorities shift or escalations occur.
- At least 2 years of experience managing a team of 4+ engineers
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL, MSSQL, PostgresSQL
- Proven ability to identify and avoid costly product and engineering decisions
- Experience operating in any Agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc.) and leveraging planning tools (Jira, Trello, ProductPlan, etc.) to plan, assign, track, and report on the work of the team
- Hands on leader with a bias towards action, proactively addressing problems
- Proven track record of owning and building quality products
- Passion for software engineering, learning and continuous improvement
- Ability to thrive while navigating changing priorities
- Understanding of technologies such as OpenID Connect (OIDC), SAML, XACML SCIM, OAuth, Federation protocols etc.
- Previous experience working at a growing company or start-up
- Previous experience hiring and assessing great technical talent
* Must be located in the continental U.S. and work core EST or CST hours