At UL, we know why we come to work.: Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
What youll learn & achieve:: UL is seeking a Software Development Engineer to join an experienced Agile team. The candidate will be responsible for hands on development across multiple technology stacks, frameworks, and tools (Java/J2EE, JSP, Servlets, SOAP/XML/WSDL, Rest Web Services, Spring, Hibernate, Microsoft SQL Servers, TFS, TeamCity, GIT, IntelliJ, Angular JS, Ext JS, Apache Tomcat, TestRail, Jira, Security and Performance monitoring tools)
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be working on web-based development initiatives, ensuring software development life cycle activities are consistent with the direction set by the Architects/Group Leads and/or generally accepted best practices. As part of a Kanban team, you will be responsible for participating in all team ceremonies and committing to a team-first attitude. You will be part of a team of peers working on highly technical, enterprise initiatives while also supporting our production system.
- Hands-on software development activities for new requirements, defect fixes, enhancements, and refactoring initiatives
- Tech-stack and library upgrades and dependency resolution
- Troubleshooting/Supporting production issues in a timely manner by offering best recommendations and work-around solutions
- Assisting in build/configuration issues on needed basis
- Work with teams to ensure consistency, best practices and guidelines are followed
What makes you a great fit::
- University degree in Computer Science or related discipline and 8+ years of Object-Oriented software development/design experience in web-based development for enterprise level applications
- 5+ years experience in Java and Java related technologies in a web-based development environment
- Working experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Exposure to tools like IntelliJ, Rally, Jira, TestRail, TFS, GIT
- Experience in secure programming to overcome security vulnerabilities
- Extensive experience with RESTful web services
- Exposure to UI libraries/frameworks (e.g., jQuery, AngularJS, ExtJS)
- Demonstrable Agile experience using a recognized framework
- Software prototyping experience
- Experience breaking down complex, large stories into thin slices of deliverable features
- Demonstrated strong logical and technical problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn and quickly comprehend new concepts
- Strong judgment and decision-making ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What youll experience working at UL::
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isnt new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and youll almost always hear, the people. Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. Were able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customer s create. Were inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & Achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus compensation. UL offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
Learn More:: Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com .