As the global leader in electronic testing, Pearson VUE () validates the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year. Our customers' high-stakes certification, licensure, admissions and other credentialing exams help people advance in technology, government and professional careers, as well as attain educational growth. Pearson VUE offers proctored exams through the world's largest network of test centers in addition to testing in online and unproctored environments.
Pearson VUE is a business of Pearson, the world's leading learning company with global-reach and market-leading businesses. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit .
We are the world's learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment,powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.Position Summary
The Software Developer is responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and unit testing to produce high-quality code for a project team responsible for supporting a number of examination platforms. They will use industry best practices while working in a team of high-performing professionals. They are also responsible for maintaining and supporting mission-critical applications as necessary. Software developers are expected to mentor associate software developers and continually contribute to process improvement activities.
This requisition is part of the Test Security team, which supports the security initiatives that are essential components of Pearson Vue's core business. One of the team's primary responsibilities is supporting a number of security initiatives across examination platforms that present exams to candidates, record responses, calculate scores and report results. We are looking for outstanding candidates to bolster the staff of these critical projects.Team:
The Pearson VUE development team is comprised of a group of inspired developers that thrive on developing cutting edge applications, with a passion for innovation and pride in producing excellent user experiences. Our work environment is collaborative, casual, flexible, agile and results driven. Since the business provides a mission-critical service to a demanding set of clients, high-quality performance is required to meet customer expectations.The Software Developer will:
- Implement & Perform - Implement designs following Pearson coding standards and industry best practices; maintain and support mission-critical applications as necessary
- Analyze & Design - Ensure business and requirements artifacts are created that effectively model the customer's requirements. Use tooling and best practices to create design models from requirements
- Review - Participate in and lead requirements, design and code reviews
- Test & Deployment - Work closely with other teams (e.g., QA, configuration management, end users) to release high quality software. Create testable requirements and write and execute unit tests
- Quality/process improvement - Participate in group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
- Reporting - Complete project documentation as required, including logging status, risk, progress, and effort on assigned work
- People development - Mentor and train new team members
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $80,000 - $100,000. This position is not bonus eligible. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: QualificationsRequired Experience:
- 5+ years relevant software development experience creating business applications with relational database systems
- 3+ years of Java development required
- 1+ years experience using SQL
- Experience with development, maintenance, and testing of Java and JavaScrip following industry best practices
Experience with some or all of the following tools is considered a bonus:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline (strong desire)
- 1+ years experience working in an agile environment
- Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Able to think technically and analytically
- Ability to understand the philosophy of architecture
- Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
- Must have strong time management skills - including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a team
- Experience with Windows, Unix and/or OS X system programming
- Apache CXF / RESTful Web Services
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Azure Databricks
- Gradle Build Framework
- IntelliJ IDE
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose - to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world's leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racistcompany in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson's commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.Job: