Social Media Specialist
Animal Legal Defense Fund
REMOTE OR COTATI, CALIFORNIA
Term: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Campaigns Manger
The Animal Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s preeminent legal advocacy organization for animals, is seeking a Social Media Specialist. The Social Media Specialist provides support for the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s communication department. This includes managing the organization’s ALDF and ALDLF social media accounts and the executive director’s social media profiles, as well as the Animal Law Conference profiles. The Digital Communications Manager also manages the execution of online advertising and reporting. Additionally, the Digital Communications Manager assists with other projects on an as needed including social media specific graphics, videos, and photography.
The Social Media Specialist is an integral member of the Communications Department and provides oversight and management of the daily maintenance of the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s social media presence. General responsibilities include:
Social media (60% of workload):
- Create, implement, and oversee the strategy for all social media platforms and profiles, including creation, curating, and posting written and graphical content for all social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Maintain Executive Director’s public figure Facebook Page and Twitter, which includes working closely with the Executive Director and the Executive Administrator on messaging, travel schedule, and photograph sourcing.
- Create campaign specific plans to support events and campaigns, including National Justice for Animals Week, Speak Out for Farmed Animals Week, and the Animal Law Conference.
- Work with Digital Media Manager for channel specific links for proper tracking of conversions and success rates.
- Maintain ALDF’s organizational tone and style across all platforms, following the Style and Branding Guide.
- Thinking independently, manage social networks to encourage engagement, productive conversation, moderate comments, and respond to constituent questions and feedback.
- Responsible for the production, analysis and reporting of all monthly social media related analytic and department reports.
- Coordinate with Campaign Manager to recruit and engage Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Remote Online Advocate Representative (ROAR) program with meaningful action and initiatives.
- Stay up to date with latest social media best practices and technologies.
- Monitor SEO and user engagement and suggest content optimization
- Communicate with industry professionals, supporters, and influencers via social media to create a strong network.
- Coordinate with staff who have public professional accounts and Student Chapter and Media specific profiles.
- Adhere to all organizational social media guidelines.
Digital Marketing (30% of workload):
- Manage and optimize the organization’s Google Grant.
- Create and implement strategies to recruit a wide demographic of supporters with an emphasis on conversation, including utilizing and managing the assigned online recruitment advertising budget to include social media advertising, Google Ads Words, retargeting ads, and network display ads.
- Collaborate with development department, to support direct marketing campaigns by raising the profile of cases and campaigns included in online e-appeals though advertising.
- Manage and code advertising expenses to corresponding restricted grants.
- Measure success of every social media campaign.
Communications (10% of workload):
- Serve as backup for website (WordPress) posting.
- Assist with setting up video for Facebook Live events and other video events as needed.
- Stay up to date on animal protection issues.
- Provide assistance to communications team as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and minimum 5 years of relevant experience in communications with hands-on online media experience required.
- Experience running successful social media profiles on multiple platforms on behalf of a company or organization required.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to handle fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects, priorities.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended days and weekends.
- Able to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Must be goal-oriented, self-motivated, creative, highly-flexible and adaptable to change.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software is required.
- Experience with website content management systems like WordPress, and eCommunications systems like Salsa, Convio/Blackbaud, Engaging Networks or MailChimp preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Background in animal protection and demonstrated commitment to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund preferred.