Location: Open to remote work, within Westfield's operating territory.
Salary Range: Minimum Salary 63,428.00 Midpoint Salary 72,941.00 Maximum Salary 82,456.00
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer's future is at the heart of what we do. We deliver on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens. Building relationships has been a part of our culture since 1848.
Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, seek opportunity and strive for innovation in a changing world.
SB Underwriter Job Summary
The SB Underwriter represents Westfield Insurance among a defined zone of agencies, producers and other distribution partners. with responsibility for underwriting profitability growth and retention of new and renewal business that is consistent with SB underwriting strategies. Analyzes new business & renewal accounts recommending submissions/renewals for acceptance or declination within established SB appetite. Develops relationships with agencies, producers and other distribution partners. and works to understands their needs. Assists Territory Leaders/Managers with evaluating the portfolio of submissions.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
* Responsible for underwriting profitability growth and retention of new and renewal business that is consistent with SB underwriting strategies.
* Analyzes new business & renewal accounts, including risk assessment, terms and conditions and pricing. Recommends submissions/renewals for acceptance or declination within established appetite.
* Develops relationships with agencies, producers and other distribution partners (producers). and works to understands their needs.
* Negotiates effectively with producers to gain profitable business.
* Overcomes objections and turns producer declinations into proactive sales.
* Influences current and prospective agencies, producers and other distribution partners. to represent and promote Westfield products and services to customers.
* Notifies producers of adverse underwriting decisions, underwriting requirements, status and declinations.
* Partners with Territory Managers in evaluating portfolio of submissions to identify opportunities to improve producer and territory performance.
* Utilizes data and analytics in managing territory and driving results.
* Answers questions from agencies, producers, distribution partners, policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to leadership as necessary.
* Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends, and make recommendations as a subject matter expert of this information with team members, particularly the SB Underwriting Team Leader.
* Collaborates with and leverages corporate shared services functions to bring the Small Business competitive strategy to life and achieve Small Business results; aligns with corporate governance while
* maintaining a singular focus on the small business customer. Builds and utilizes strong partnerships to drive alignment for the mutual benefit of both Small Business and the organization.
* Travels occasionally in order to participate in special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
* Minimum of 3 years underwriting of Commercial and/or Small Business P&C insurance experience.
* Industry and marketplace experience and knowledge that drives positive impacts for the zone and organization.
* Delivers messages in a clear, compelling, and concise manner; articulates messages in a way that is broadly understandable; adjusts communication content and style to meet need of diverse audience; actively listens and checks for understanding.
* Experience tactfully and persuasively handling conflict.
* Experience maintaining a high degree of customer service focus and professionalism.
* Experience analyzing problems and developing strategies for resolution.
* Experience working in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing and completing work efficiently and effectively.
* Bachelor's degree or commensurate experience.
* Valid driver's license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at westfieldinsurance.com.