Summary: This position works full-time within the corporate Underwriting Department in St. Petersburg, FL. The Senior Underwriter assists the Director of Underwriting in setting the underwriting direction of UPC Insurance in all states in which the company does business. This position also has responsibility for coordinating the relationship between UPC and the Underwriting and Customer Service departments at the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) service provider. The Senior Underwriter is responsible to take action to achieve results that positively impact profitability and sales.
Organizational Relationships: The Senior Underwriter reports to the Director of Underwriting. This position also has regular contact with the company's vendors, as well as with all other company departments.
NOTE: This position is eligible for remote work after training is completed, in accordance with UPC's Telecommuting / Remote Work Policy.
* Assists the Director of Underwriting in setting underwriting direction of UPC Insurance in all states in which the company does business.
* Contributes to the development, implementation, and monitoring of all underwriting rules, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
* Provides higher risk review to front-line Underwriters and field State Marketing Directors/Territory Managers.
* Conducts renewal underwriting to ensure acceptability of risks and to improve the performance of the book of business; portfolio management.
* Conducts audits to ensure proper application of underwriting rules, guidelines, policies, and procedures
* Conducts periodic, in-depth analysis of Homeowners and Dwelling Fire programs in all states to examine profitability as well as ongoing effectiveness of rules, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
* Coordinates the relationship between UPC Insurance and the Underwriting and Customer Service departments at the BPO service provider.
* Collaborates with Product Management on development of new products and programs.
* Collaborates with Claims on resolution of coverage issues and adverse risk development.
* Collaborates with Marketing to communicate company underwriting policies to the field.
* Participates in and manages Underwriting and cross-departmental projects.
* Performs other related duties as assigned in support of the organization's mission to "Keep the Promise®".
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education and/or Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
* Minimum five (5) years property and casualty Underwriting experience, some of which includes leading projects or team.
* Professional designation - CPCU, CIC, AIM, and/or API - preferred.
* Customer service and call center operations experience is a plus.
* Project management experience is a plus.
Certificates/Licensure: Not required.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
* Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
* Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
* Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
* Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
* Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
* Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers.
* Possess and demonstrate the drive required to build a team that ultimately becomes the premier underwriters of catastrophe exposed property insurance.
* Strong team player able to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships
* Ability to constantly prioritize tasks in order to effectively manage and handle high workloads and to work under pressure.
* Ability to accurately identify and assess a problem, and then offer a viable solution(s).
* Ability to deal with complexity and to see that underwriting information is complete or incomplete, and to request additional underwriting information if necessary.
* Ability to synchronize and integrate resources at the right time and place to maximize results.
* Excellent writing skills required.
* Ability to interpret and synthesize information from different functional business units
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely across organizational levels.
* Ability to analyze and interpret complex business and/or technical documents such as financial reports, briefs and/or regulatory publications and/or journals.
* Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations.
* Ability to define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
* Advanced personal computer skills including advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Access, and Excel, as well as the ability to learn other software as needed.
* Experience working with office machinery: calculators, photocopiers, printers, and scanners.
* Position typically requires reaching, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
* Sedentary work: Exerting 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
* Some air and road travel may be required.