Job Summary Provide legal representation, either personally or by retaining and supervising outside counsel that handles complex litigation involving either the corporation or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums, whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation, arbitration, workers' compensation, and administrative proceedings, and any necessary appellate work. Provide legal advice to assist the disposition of claims in a fair manner consistent with relevant statutes and within the guidelines of the company. You will report to a legal manager. Join us today!
Compensation Minimum:$111,200 Yearly
Compensation Maximum:$194,900 Yearly
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
- You will handle litigation involving either the corporation or its insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Handle files and complex issues. Communicate with clients regarding file status and progress.
- You will analyze file as litigation progresses. Evaluate cases and seek settlement if needed.
- You will conduct discovery (e.g. written interrogatories, requests for production of documents, and depositions) and conduct motion practice.
- Draft all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs to advance litigation. Conduct necessary research to support drafting activities.
- Advocate client position in all forums (state and federal court, alternative dispute resolution, administrative tribunals and regulatory hearings) and circumstances. Negotiate and resolve claims and other issues.
- Stay current on state statutes and court decisions and analyze how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of the policy provisions. May have or develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property, workers compensation, environmental law, commercial coverage).
- Participate in divisional or corporate projects as assigned.
- Develop and deliver presentations for other departments to inform personnel on how the law affects their job responsibilities.
- Adjust reserves to reflect company exposure based on file information available at that time
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience making decisions independently gained through a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise acquired through litigation activities and trial experience.
- Extensive experience preparing civil pleadings, motions and discovery and deposing witnesses.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and insurance law.
Education & Licenses
- Admission to the State Bar in state where they are located or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within a year of hiring.
- Juris Doctor.
- Auto and Premise liability experience
- Licensed in CT required
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visa) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Internal candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of location and will be considered based upon the needs of the role.
This position is remote/work from home in CT. However, travel may be required for in-person appearances. Also, on occasion you may be asked to travel to an office location for in person engagement activities such as team meetings, training and culture events.
We provide benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, 9 paid holidays and a paid time off program (23 days accrued annually for full-time employees). In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Insurance Group benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to non-discrimination, non-harassment and equal opportunity. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements listed above. Skills can be used in many different ways, and your life and professional experience may be relevant beyond what a list of requirements will capture. We encourage those who are passionate about what we do to apply!