Senior Systems Software Engineer at Vertica (U.S.- REMOTE)Job Description:Keywords:
python, databases, docker, kubernetes, aws, Google Cloud Platform, azure, cloud
The Vertica Ecosystem Engineering team is looking for a senior systems software engineer to help us take our Big Data Analytics Platform to the next level.
In this role, you'll join a small team responsible for the components that enable deployment and operation of our distributed database: provisioning, installation, upgrade, cluster formation, administration, and diagnostics. Our users are data infrastructure engineers, devops engineers and DBA's; they use our tools to operate mission-critical Vertica clusters of hundreds of nodes that process petabyte-sized data sets, in any cloud or in local data centers.
We need a self-directed senior engineer who is capable of solving problems in diverse areas, including:
- Systems programing in python
- Distributed systems
- Linux operating system integration
- Networking & Security
The recommended requirements the candidate should meet are:
- Bachelor, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in software development, ideally in building enterprise software or managed services
- Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software engineering practices for sustainable development.
- Experience building or operating solutions on cloud platforms like AWS, Google Cloud Platform & Azure
- Fluent in python programming on Linux
- Bonus knowledge: some familiarity with C, network architecture and protocols
The candidate's responsibilities will include:
Location: Remote Eligible
- Design and implement features in the Vertica Analytics Platform to improve distributed database installation, upgrade, orchestration, administration, configuration, and diagnostics
- Influence the design of database clustering & fault tolerance features based on their interaction with the deployment mechanisms
- Provide technical leadership and support for junior members of the team by conducting thorough design and code reviews
- Define requirements for new features in collaboration with Product Managers, Support Engineers, and customers
- Diagnose, debug, and resolve product issues discovered during the development process and coming from customers
Vertica believes that each of us knows the work environment that makes us the most productive. That's why we provide our employees with the ability to work how and where they will be the most successful. We enable a flexible approach to work location, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office or from home, or a combination of both, but you make that choice including where you choose to live. Vertica invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments to empower employees to work productively in the setting that meets their personal needs. That's why we're so proud to have a highly productive and engaged team in every function of the company.About our team
The best ideas often come from fresh perspectives. At Vertica, our open-minded, diverse and inclusive team is always learning from each other. We approach intellectually challenging work with a "get it done" attitude. Vertica Engineers are given significant latitude and support to pursue what they are passionate about to make Vertica an even better place. If you are excited about building great technology with a proactive team, you will find yourself in good company at Vertica. Welcome to the family.About our product
Vertica is a recognized leader in analytics powering some of the world's most data driven organizations like Uber, Wayfair, Intuit, Cerner, and more. Our columnar, MPP, distributed database delivers unprecedented speed, petabyte scale, with analytics and machine learning functions built into the core.
We believe the future belongs to the fast. Join us for the ride!
EngineeringMicro Focus is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship or any other legally protected status
- provided by Dice