By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world's energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values that capture the spirit of how we work. These values include being: Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative.
Job Description Who are we looking for?
This is a great opportunity for an experienced engineer to manage the design and deployment of robotic systems and have a positive impact on multi-million pound international projects advancing fusion power. A perfect opportunity to join a rapidly growing department which designs and operates the equipment used for maintenance and upgrade of the JET Tokamak as well other commercial projects.
As a Senior Remote Handling / Robotics Operations Engineer you will able to draw on significant experience when evaluating new design concepts and generating training material. This role will allow you to take responsibility for leading and motivating a team operating robotic equipment, communicate technical issues to project teams, optimising designs for robotic handling as well as prioritise safety to prevent damage to people, equipment and the JET vessel. What will you be responsible for?
As a Senior Remote Handling Operations Engineer you will specify, develop and deploy robotic systems for hazardous environments. This will involve the opportunity to work across a range of international projects. The work will include the operation of industrial robotics, a full remote handling system, tool and component design, and remote handling task development.
- Leading a team operating a remote handling system to maintain and upgrade complex machinery in an inaccessible area.
- As part of a project team guide other disciplines to design systems optimised for remote operations.
- Provide subject matter expertise in developing and applying safe operational methods from standard robots through to first-of-a-kind remote systems.
- Train and mentor less experienced Engineers and Technician
The appointee may be required to work in Beryllium and Radiation controlled areas. All necessary training and registration for this will be provided by UKAEA. Occasionally our work involves operations staffed in shifts. You must be prepared to work shifts or be on call as required.
Qualifications Essential skills, experience and competence required
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience in the operation of robotic (remote handling) equipment and tools. We would be particularly be interested in people who have good knowledge and operational experience of standard commercially available robots (ABB, Kuka, etc.).
- Practical hands-on experience with mechanical components and assemblies.
- A recognised HND or degree in Mechanical Engineering OR equivalent practical experience.
- Experience of training and/or supervising others.
- Experience of using Virtual Reality models or CAD.
- Experience of regulatory frameworks, such as EU Machinery Directive and ISO Safety Requirements for Industrial Robots.
Additional Information What we offer
- A competitive salary
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies
- Emergency leave (paid)
- 30.5 days annual leave increased with length of service (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) plus bank holidays
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme)
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- Annual corporate bonus scheme
- Relocation allowance (if eligible)
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. The Executive team with support from our EDI 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station in Oxfordshire.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 3/01/2022
. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.
As RACE continues to grow the ability to train others is likely to be a key part of the role.
Further information about RACE can be found here:
RACE YouTube channel:
RACE JET Case Study: