Senior Devops Engineer - £550/day - Remote
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP Digital)
The specialist will need to be a highly experienced (Practitioner level) Senior Dev Ops Engineer. Managing day to day support, technical leadership and guidance, creating a DevOps culture and implementing automation best practices. Upholding DWP values and working within Government Digital Standards.
Senior Lead DevOps Engineering team providing support, technical leadership and guidance, creating a DevOps culture and implementing automation best practices. This will include coaching, mentoring and supporting your team, taking responsibility for their decision-making and their professional development.
Responsible for large blocks of work, employees in varied disciplines and with a wide span of leadership, breaking down user stories into tasks.
Design and manage the tactics for building reusable libraries, templates and services and own the development of medium-long term strategies for product lines within your Functional and Professional Communities.
- Develop & document functional test procedures for new production builds for the analytical platform
- Develop & document non-functional test of the analytical system.
- Conduct User Acceptance testing of enhancements and new functionality.
- Providing assurance of migration of data and application to new platform.
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrate experience of working in a large scale organisation and/or Government or Public Sector within dev ops area especially AWS utilising various tools and packages such as Ansible, Puppet
- 3+ years in a practical DevOps role
- Expert level AWS infrastructure build and operate experience
- Demonstrable experience building secure solutions AWS
- Experience building secure solutions using Hashicorp tooling: Terraform
- Can demonstrate practical experience with RedHat Linux
- Experience of managing infrastructure as code, catering for multiple environment differences, using Puppet, Ansible
- Demonstrable experience of using configuration management in team environments (eg, git, GitLab)
- Demonstrable experience delivering CI/CD pipelines
- Able to demonstrate mentoring colleagues in automation, security, and reliability, within a DevOps context
- Can demonstrate a firm grasp of DevOps and Agile methodologies
- Experience of managing infrastructure as code, catering for multiple environment differences
Nice to have:
- Demonstrable experience of Red Hat Linux System Administration
- Worked in an Agile driven environment
- Able to demonstrate they have worked in regulated and controlled government environments
- Work well as the lead of a team and keep the team motivated to perform well
- Transfer knowledge gained through the team and be willing to share experiences across the wider department
- Be transparent and collaborative when making decisions
- Is accountable and takes responsibility for their work
- Can work with colleagues with little or no technical knowledge
It is essential that the Department (DWP) holds copies of and rights to all source code developed and accompanying intellectual property rights to the code to develop further or make changes as it sees fit.
BPSS clearance required.