Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a Senior Biostatistician to lead statistical analyses on various types of research projects involving epidemiological, administrative, and clinical datasets. You will collaborate and consult with external investigators and internal project team members on your work designing and executing analyses. You will provide biostatistical support including design and data analysis for Westat projects and contribute to scientific peer reviewed publications. You will present computational and statistical analysis results to collaborators and assist them with data access, analysis, and interpretation of results. You will build or internalize appropriate algorithms and techniques to answer defined epidemiologic questions, ensuring that results are scientifically robust and well documented.
This role is remote eligible.Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with external investigators in developing study aims and research hypotheses.
• Provide study design advice to investigators including assessment of appropriateness and feasibility.
• Estimate optimal sample size for the desired power, recognizing resource limitations of individual research studies.
• Develop statistical considerations and analysis methods for study protocols.
• Develop statistical analysis plans for research projects including guiding the data management team in terms of database design, selection of statistical methods, creation of project timelines, and development of formats for presenting results.
• Oversee, lead, and consult on all phases of analytical programming, data management, macros, quality control and reporting of research data.
• Conduct statistical analysis for epidemiological, clinical and evaluation projects including implementation and refinement of statistical methods, preparation of formatted tables of results and other outputs, verification of the accuracy of results, and assumption of primary responsibility for the analysis and presentation of project data.
• Lead efforts in researching, recommending, and implementing methods to validate, troubleshoot, and interpret results.
• Participate in quality control and quality assurance processes and review code output, tables, and charts.
• Present analytical results orally and in writing to internal and external audiences, incorporating descriptions of methods, relevant literature, and other background material to provide context for the results.
• Serve as a data resource for research project teams and interact directly with clients and external investigators.Basic Qualifications:
• PhD in Biostatistics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Epidemiology or a related field of study.
• A minimum of six years of experience, including at least 3 years of health research experience and at least 3 years of advanced data analysis experience and analyzing research data using statistical packages.
• Experience with SAS, R and other statistical packages.Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience organizing and manipulating large data sets (e.g., EHR, claims, omics and other datasets).
• Skill and expertise in a broad range of statistical methods and approaches including analysis of longitudinal and repeated measures data, methods for handling missing data, use of linear and non-linear models, use of published non-parametric and parametric statistical methods, survival data analysis methods, logistic regressions.
In this role, you'll use your well-developed communication and critical thinking skills to express complex statistical concepts and technical information clearly to audiences with and without formal statistical training. You'll also be adept at independently performing analysis, programming, implementation and testing of data; and comfortable with accountability, meeting tight deadlines and completing complex work assignments.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.