Symetra has an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Analyst, ICFR Compliance! About the role
The Senior Analyst, ICFR Compliance leads Symetras company-wide Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR) program supporting both the GAAP and Statutory requirements. This role will have the unique opportunity to work directly with all levels of management and business functions to improve and gain in-depth knowledge of key processes and lead financial reporting risks company-wide. The Senior Analyst will develop practical solutions to identify operational improvements and work with our internal audit team to implement new or improved controls.
You'll also lead the end-to-end ICFR risk assessment process and drive special projects to design controls for new business initiatives. This position will partner with others in our Enterprise Financial Reporting team on the implementation of new accounting guidance, such as the guidance for Long-duration Insurance Contracts.
As the ideal candidate you'll have a strong desire to work independently, ability to handle ambiguity, and the capability to lead others to aim for results. We are looking for someone with excellent communication and organization skills, a strong attention to detail, and who approaches projects with curiosity and a desire to learn. You have high expectations for yourself with the ambition to exceed them! What youll do
Internal Controls Risk Assessment and Compliance Program Management
- Lead the GAAP and STAT annual risk assessments and scoping analysis.
- Prepare periodic reporting packages and other presentations for senior management related to planning, risk assessment and compliance, audit findings and remediation plans.
- Partner with the key business area and IT process owners to ensure process narratives, procedures, controls and control mapping requirements are kept current and align with internal and external documentation requirements.
- Participate in key process walkthroughs to identify, validate and document significant classes of transactions, financial reporting risks, financial statement assertions and key/non-key controls.
- Provide technical expertise to business partners enterprise-wide for the design and changes to internal controls as needed.
- Assist in designing controls for special projects, including the implementation of new accounting standards, business initiatives, and system implementations.
- Keep key finance team members and management appropriately updated on relevant internal control compliance activities and timely communication of risks and issues identified.
- Facilitate the remediation of control gaps/deficiencies and advance possible critical issues to senior management. Identify areas of potential improvement for key processes and procedures and supports the management of the related processes and procedures.
- Coordinate and analyze periodic process owner sub-certifications.
- Build and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with all levels of management, internal audit, and external auditors.
? Your education, skills and experience
- Assist in the preparation of accounting memos and policies.
- Perform technical accounting research related to new or complex transactions.
- Stay current with developments in the accounting and finance world, including internal controls, sharing knowledge with others.
What we offer
- A BA/BS in Business Administration, Business Management, Accounting, or Finance
- 3 years of experience, preferably in public accounting, internal audit, or consulting
- CPA or CPA-eligible, preferred
- Strong working knowledge of ICFR standards, types, methodologies, documentation and control testing
- Solid understanding of IT audit methodology and strong foundation in Information Technology General Controls (ITGC)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - ability to explain concepts and articulate opinions at all levels
- Strong project management abilities
- Strong documentation skills -- clear, concise, detailed, and accurate
- Creativity, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Good time management, capable of planning and prioritizing multiple tasks while meeting deadlines under pressure
- A positive attitude and sense of humor!
- Experience in the financial services or insurance industry is preferred, but not required.
We dont take a one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better both at work and at home.
We empower inclusion
- Flexible work and telecommute arrangements
- Wellness program offering employees a variety of resources crafted to assist you in reaching and maintaining your optimum health
- Paid time away options to accommodate your needs and lifes events, including vacation (our favorite), illness, caring for a family member, volunteering, the birth or adoption of a child and more
- Ongoing learning and skills development through our college tuition assistance, professional education certification programs and more
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching and/or participate in our company-wide week of service each June
- Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
At Symetra, were building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute. Inclusion is about recognizing our assumptions, considering multiple perspectives and removing barriers.
We accept and celebrate diverse experiences, identities and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and builds a stronger, more innovative company. We invite you to learn more about our efforts here. In a complex industry, we strive for clarity.
Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we're guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they're getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what's right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
Learn more about our careers at Work Authorization
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.