About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is the 5th largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. By offering industry-leading tools, low-rate mortgages and unparalleled customer service, we've become the Home Purchase Experts®. At Guaranteed Rate, we think big-pushing beyond what most people believe is possible. We strive to work with the best of the best, building business with the best referral partners and hiring the best employees-allowing us to deliver world-class customer service. Our goal is to make sure every customer has a great experience. Headquartered in Chicago with 5,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, we've helped thousands of homeowners with more than $37 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in just the past year alone.
What's the Role?
This position is responsible for managing the Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Conventional Underwriters in your dedicated region. This includes constant monitoring of the file flow and workloads in order to maintain acceptable turn times and the team's customer service. The Regional Underwriting Manager (RUM) will monitor efficiencies and will continually look for ways to improve our processes, both in terms of procedures and use of systems to ensure continuous service and quality improvements and error reductions. Success in this position is demonstrated by building a cohesive team of Underwriters, effectively applying guidelines and sound underwriting practices, providing intelligent risk assessment and informed decisions while ensuring regulatory compliance.
* Create and maintain a highly efficient and productive environment/culture that values team members and rewards performance.
* Ensure effective communication and team building atmosphere within all departments of Guaranteed Rate.
* Manage the mortgage underwriting pipeline; being cognizant of service levels, quality, compliance and daily expectations.
* Plan, coordinate, direct, review and supervise work of subordinates in the underwriting of mortgage loans.
* Oversee Conventional underwriting to ensure adherence to all Agency, Investor and Guaranteed Rate guidelines.
* Review and analyze file documentation related to the loan decision and properly mitigate and document policy exceptions.
* Review a percentage of approved loans by underwriters in your region to ensure they are complete and accurate and provide feedback to the Divisional Underwriting Manager.
* Ensure the integrity of loan data entered and maintained in Encompass LOS, AUS and all systems required throughout the underwriting process.
* Ensure that loan conditions submitted to obtain clear-to-close are reviewed in a timely manner.
* Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements including but not limited to QM, ATR, HMDA, Reg B, ECOA, Reg V, Fact Act, AIR, Safe Act, etc.
* Monitor results of internal audits and suspensions for areas needing improvement and additional training opportunities.
* Provide guidance, training, coaching and assistance to staff as needed.
* Responsible for employee evaluations, disciplinary actions, salary adjustments and termination functions.
* Work closely with varying levels of management both internally and externally.
* Other various duties as required.
* BS/BA in Finance, Operations or Management preferred, or equivalent work history.
* Must have 7+ years' experience in all aspects of residential mortgage origination for both conventional and government products.
* Two or more years' experience in a management role, with proven track record in management and supervision.
* Strong knowledge of State and Federal laws pertaining to the mortgage banking industry: QM, ATR, RESPA, ECOA, AIR, etc.
* Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
* Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
* Excellent customer service skills with strong attention to detail.
* Time Management skills and the ability to prioritize workload based on daily production.
* Strong analytical skills required with a high degree of accuracy.
* Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
* Ability to multi-task in other areas of the units.
* Positive attitude and team-oriented spirit.
* Ability to function in an ever-changing environment.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law. #LI-LC2