Principal Cyber Data Analyst
Reading - Hybrid/Remote working options
As directed by the Head of BI & Analysis, the Principal Cyber Analyst supports the Security & Comms Strategy & Marketing Head by providing insights, analysis, specific reports & deliverables that inform their market sector activities. The Principal Cyber Analyst also works with the Head of BI & Analysis to support & coach market analysts within the UK Strategy & Marketing function to ensure high quality, peer reviewed output is delivered.
The role has a specific focus on the cyber security market (requiring domain expertise on the competitive ecosystem and market dynamics), but also includes provision of support to RCP BL activities in the UK (so knowledge of UK defence market and / or military tactical communications is also valuable but not essential).
Key Responsibilities and Tasks (% of time shown in brackets):
- 10%: The systematic gathering, recording and analysis of data about issues relating to marketing products, systems and services to provide the business with relevant, accurate, validated and current information.
- Includes gathering of primary intelligence through attendance at relevant conferences and industry forums (e.g. ADS) as well as building relationships with Government stakeholders (e.g. UKTI DSO).
55%: Analysis of data to provide synthesis of key market characteristics & competitor insight, as well as highlighting implications & options for business strategy, including the market positioning:
- Market: Construction & maintenance of advanced forecast models (e.g. aircraft platforms & services) to provide insight on market size, profile, geography and timescales. Work closely with PLM community to validate market analysis and formulate messaging for decision reviews. Build business cases using market analysis to generate a baseline revenue profile for the PLM & construct revenue profiles based on different market scenarios and assumptions. Capture user requirements from public domain information. Work with the sales community to provide guidance on market opportunities and country attractiveness to focus and prioritise their efforts.
- Competitor: analysing capabilities, product offerings, price to win analysis and price-performance positioning, (including price-to-win support); potential partner organisation capability mapping and screening for M&A analysis.
- Positioning: Advise Communications on key marketing messages, branding and campaigns, based on an understanding of customer requirements, linked to an analysis of strengths and weaknesses relative to the competition.
5%: Providing oversight of the UK Strategy & Marketing business intelligence system through posting commentary to highlight developments and implications for the business as well as helping to build the business’ market intelligence culture by encouraging others to participate in intelligence sharing and discussion threads on the system.30%: Supporting the strategic business planning (SBP) process by providing input on market trends & drivers, market sizing and competitive intensity, including implications. Outside of the SBP process, work with the Strategy & Marketing Sector leads to support strategy implementation with marketing material as required.
Skills & Experience:
- Broad knowledge of the Cyber Security industry as well as the tactical comms element of the Defence industry, including awareness of trends and drivers, as well as horizon scanning to inform future business direction.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Cyber Security
- Extensive experience of lifecycle review process with ability to interject appropriately in business decision making.
- Experience of facilitating working sessions and managing debate to deliver a balanced output (e.g. Black Hat reviews).
- Able to identify customer needs from primary and secondary intelligence and link this directly to positioning of Thales’ products in the market.
- Along with Sales & RT&I, solicits, collates, analyses and disseminates customer feedback to strengthen positioning with key accounts.
- Analyse complex markets based only on broad guidance and synthesise findings to report key points and their implications for the business.
- Builds a strong personal network within the business and wider industry, driving the sharing and codification of market intelligence within the business.
- Provides recommendations to Strategy & Marketing Sector leads to improve product positioning based on comprehensive understanding of offer versus the competition.
- Advises Communications on key marketing messages and branding, linked to the aforementioned understanding of Thales’ product positioning.
- Highly productive and able to manage demanding and complex workload to tight deadlines.
- Ability to organise and manipulate data in Excel to analyse markets and construct market models, with assumptions justified and stated clearly. Extensive experience of scenario modelling techniques to enhance output.
- Understanding of company financial data and able to critique business case model assumptions based on market and competitive environment context.
- Gathers and corroborates high quality primary intelligence utilising personal network, combined with understanding of business and competitor activities.
- Ability to combine secondary desk-based research techniques with primary intelligence gathering at external forums, whilst at the same time adopting an ethical approach to competitive intelligence gathering to set an example to other market analyst team members.
- Able to articulate and succinctly present analysis to internal and external stakeholders, adjusting presentation style as appropriate to the context.
Values & Behaviours:
- Shape Solutions out of Complexity
- Thinks sharply in an uncertain, contradictory or paradoxical context.
- Thinks innovatively and unconventionally, able to anticipate, introduces ideas which may lead to strategic advances.
- Can consider situations at different levels and from different perspectives;
- Be Ambitious & Accountable
- Perform through Cooperation
- Influence Key Stakeholders
- Engage and develop teams
- Customer Trust
- Works closely with stakeholders to ensure tasks are delivered to requirements, with high quality, insightful, concise, peer-reviewed work.
- One Team, One Thales
- Actively shares knowledge and best practice with marketing colleagues within the UK and wider Group
- Manages stakeholders efficiently to make best use of available time and seeks to reach mutual agreement through proactive socialisation of work and viewpoints.
- Developing our People:
- Actively seeks to expand knowledge within core markets and adjacent markets and to pass this knowledge onto other team members.
- Proactively leads peer reviews within marketing community
- Mentors and coaches analyst team members to improve skills in market & competitor analysis as well as stakeholder management.
- Accountable and Committed to Excellence:
- Willing to justify analysis and stand by findings of team member and personal work based on quality and knowledge of underlying data
- Provides recommendations and highlights implications based on this information to senior decision makers in the business and is willing to justify his/her position when faced with strong challenge from business leaders.
- Agile and Innovative
- Adapts to changing strategic priorities and is able to manage stakeholders to re-plan work when a new direction is set.
- Is proactive and takes initiative
- Takes decisions in uncertain and ambiguous contexts
- Sets ambitious objectives and undertakes the corresponding actions, showing self-confidence and courage.
- Works interactively with other colleagues or teams, in different locations/GBUs/functions (hierarchical or cross-functional/national/international);
- Is able to mobilize others through his/her conviction and persuasion independent of the hierarchical context.
- Quickly understands how organisations operate, identifies the interactions between stakeholders and power relationships in different cultures, acquires and consolidates his/her knowledge of stakeholders.
- Uses his/her understanding of the environment to adapt his/her interpersonal skills.
- In the interest of transparency, shares information about decisions which have been taken.