This position may be based out of South San Francisco, California, USA, with remote work locations possible in The United States.
The Genentech Research and Early Development IT group seeks a talented and motivated Platform Engineer to join us in supporting scientific software development. Your responsibilities will focus on building a development platform that supports everything from a code commit to deployment using a variety of tools to automate the process while making it fast and safe. Starting with build automation you will develop processes for storing secrets, managing containers and artifacts, testing code and monitoring continuous delivery among other things. The job will utilize and build on your experience in software development, cloud computing, and automation of a variety of existing and emerging technology and applications. You will join a team of cloud computing and HPC engineers as well as laboratory IT support professionals with technical skills and experience in both technology and life sciences. Together, you will have the opportunity to build a modern software environment to help propel Genentech's drug development ambitions.
The Genentech Research and Early Development organization is a world-class research and drug development organization. Staffed with some of the world's most brilliant scientists, bioinformaticians, and computational researchers, the breadth and depth of scientific expertise across a broad range of disciplines can't be overstated. Encouraging an open, academic-like atmosphere and frequently publishing in top-tier, peer reviewed journals, scientists work with a variety of technologies including high performance computing (HPC), cloud platforms, modern software development tools, petabyte-scale storage, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
* Collaborate with the business and IT to develop platform patterns and standards
* Architect, develop, build, and deploy cloud based software engineering platforms
* Automate processes to reduce or eliminate manual steps and improve reproducibility
* Accelerate the software development lifecycle by creating build, test, and deploy pipelines
* Provide guidance to new and existing development groups on technology adoption
* Act as escalation point for incidents, upgrades, and migrations to support operations
* Rigorously document solutions and provide knowledge transfer to operational teams
* Technically lead and mentor other team members, delegating work, and tracking progress
* 8+ years architecting, building, and deploying software development pipelines
* Expertise in AWS managed services (EKS, ECS, etc) to accelerate software development
* Extensive use of infrastructure automation tools and configuration management a must
* Experience with artifact repositories, secrets management & container orchestration tools
* Demonstrated experience in software development and application lifecycle management
* A focus on solution delivery, with excellent time management and organization skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills with your own team, technical IT partners, and customers
* Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to non-technical audiences
For Colorado-based applicants, the expected salary range for this position is $146,200.00 - $189,200.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors permitted by law. A discretionary annual bonus may be available based on individual and Company performance. This position also qualifies for the benefits listed below.
Roche offers highly competitive benefit plans and programs, including: •Medical, dental and vision insurance •401(k) and 401(k) matching •Paid time off •Roche Long Term Incentive Plan (available at certain position levels)
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.