The Mechanisms Engineering Manager will lead teams in evaluation, selection, and design of mechanisms for use within handheld power tools. This engineer will work closely with other technical colleagues, leading the development of mechanisms using state of the art technology, and test features and products to elevate the performance and quality of Harbor Freight power tool brands. This position involves tasks such as structural analysis, computer aided design (CAD), building and evaluating prototypes, mechanism and gearbox analysis, and generating new design concepts.Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in cross-functional product development teams and support product experts to ensure that products ultimately achieve performance, quality, and time to market goals.
- Supervise engineers and participate in development of best in class tool mechanisms that demonstrate innovation and expertise
- Ensure personal and team compliance with core company values and consistently drive improvement while championing transparent collaboration with other key stakeholders in the business.
- Evaluate mechanism and gearbox decisions and provide input on improving performance, efficiency, vibration, sound, and feel of the tool
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance team about decisions and tradeoffs in mechanism designs.
- Generate 3D CAD models for prototyping unique solutions and ideas
- Reverse engineering products to evaluate performance and manufacturing opportunities
- Provide technical mechanical engineering support for all power tools
- Lead initiatives to develop preventative action plans and catch-all processes to keep quality and performance levels consistent.
- Develop critical to quality specifications and testing to ensure power tool quality is acceptable and maintained thru life of the product
- Analyze technology to plan and assess the feasibility of products/projects.
- Direct, review, and approve product design and changes.
- Test and analyze products to identify opportunities for performance and quality improvements
Skills and Experience (Required)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline or equivalent combination of physical science degree and related experience
- 5+ years of experience in mechanism design and analysis
- Willingness to travel and work internationally with excellent cultural sensitivity as well as genuine appreciation and respect for cultural differences
- A track record of partnering with cross functional team members and key stakeholders, with the ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Proficient using 3D CAD program, such as Solidworks
- Extensive problem solving experience
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation with strong command of English language
- Experience evaluating tools and manufacturing processes in order to perform root cause analysis and implement sustainable solutions to improve product quality and performance
- Team leadership experience in the area of mechanism development