Title: Lead Software Developer
Location: United States
This position is remote and does not require regular in-office presence.
Utilize skills in COBOL, JCL, CICS, and SQL to provide development and integration support across a wide variety of business systems and applications.
At Ameritas, our mission is Fulfilling Life. We do that in many ways, but especially by helping people invest in themselves by offering trusted financial products and advice. Because we believe everyone should be happy, healthy, and financially secure, we work hard to provide trusted financial products and valued guidance, including individual life and disability insurance, employee benefits, retirement planning, investments, and wealth management services.
Provide development and integration support to ensure business system applications deliver measurable value to the business. Provide support for specialized and ad hoc requests for research, technical information and customized or one-off solutions. This professional delivers to a future view of technical solutions and business process, managed by a delivery plan integrated with other IT and business areas, as well as to a roadmap that makes progress toward a future state. Ensure the ongoing health of the business systems, measured by agreed level of services.
This role is responsible for designing, creating, integrating, and deploying an aggregation of business system applications that cooperate to deliver overarching functionality of technology. That responsibility includes the entire software lifecycle, from ideation through end-of-life, for all applications that deliver value within business capabilities.
This role does participate in providing 24/7/365 on call support within a shared team setting. Participation in this support rotation will be required.
What you do
- Systems analysis, design, development, integration, maintenance, and support
- Code using a disciplined development process
- Integrate solutions with other applications and platforms
- Produce and analyze data extracts and reports from the system
- Develop, execute, and document test plans
- Lead deployment of new modules, apply upgrades and fixes to the production environment, ensure production readiness; move to libraries, complete forms, complete version control documents
- Document functions and changes to new or modified modules, test activities/ results and other areas such as error handling and backup/recovery procedures
- Provide technical and system knowledge and guidance to other team members
- Support major projects that span a broad range of applications while acting as the IT lead and subject matter expert by providing technical direction to others
- Contribute to solutioning efforts with team, application owners, architects, business analysts and clients
- Evaluate new application packages and tools; research best practices and recommend solutions
- Identifies technical requirements and create technical design specifications
- Create technical sizing for requirements for small to large projects (and gain appropriate acceptance)
- Communicate effectively with members of IT and the business areas in both verbal and written forms
- Create technical designs from business requirements and functional specifications
- Serve as development lead on certain projects, being the focal point for all development efforts on that project
- Work effectively in unfamiliar programs, processes, and applications
What you bring
- 2-4 years of application programming and analysis experience required. Required technical skills: COBOL, SQL, relational database (Relational Datacom, DB2, etc.), CICS, and JCL
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Demonstrated knowledge of information systems and application architecture standards including strong systems analysis experience
- Ability to read and write technical and system documentation
- Desired technical skills: VSAM, EasyTrieve, CICS web services including REST and SOAP, Endevor, Expediter, RDz or Topaz
What we offer
- Our company motto is Fulfilling Life and we take that job seriously, with a heavy commitment to volunteering and community support, employee well-being, and providing quality products and services that help our customers create a brighter future.
- Being a mutual-based organization, the return on our investment goes back into the company, to benefit our members/customers.
- We’re committed to professional development, opportunity, inclusion, and diversity. Team building and collaboration are also priorities.
- A total rewards package with all the comprehensive health and welfare benefits you’d expect, including competitive pay and incentives, 401(k), flexible work schedules and time off to care for yourself and others.
- Additional popular benefits, including tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment, an incentivized well-being program, adoption assistance, paid time off for volunteering, training, and career development opportunities.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Ameritas has a reputation as a company that cares, and because everyone should feel safe bringing their authentic, whole self to work, we’re committed to an inclusive culture and diverse workplace, enriched by our individual differences. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that hires based on qualifications, positive attitude, and exemplary work ethic, regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Salary range $96,422 to $154,276 per year.
Remote – USA