Crum & Forster (C&F), with a proud history dating to 1822, provides specialty and standard commercial lines insurance products through our admitted and surplus lines insurance companies. Approaching $4 billion in written premium as of 2021, C&F enjoys a financial strength rating of "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best. C&F is proud of its superior customer service platform and its claims and risk engineering services are recognized as among the best in the industry. Our most valuable asset is our people - 3000+ employees, and growing, in locations throughout the United States. The company is increasingly winning recognition as a great place to work, earning workplace and wellness awards. C&F is part of Fairfax Financial Holdings, a global organization with $23.8 billion in revenue as of 2021. For more information about Crum & Forster, please visit our website: .
Lead Developer - Duck Creek Platform Preferred (Morristown, NJ or Remote)
The Lead Developer for Duck Creek Policy is one of the senior members of the development team responsible for translating business requirements into pragmatic and functional application/technology solutions. This role is responsible for hands on development and day to day driving of the other developers toward quality delivery. The lead developer should be a subject matter expert in one or more elements of the application they support including XML/XSLT/XPATH and expertise in Duck Creek Policy Author Manuscripts configuration, XSLT transforms, Duck Creek API s, SQL Database queries and procedures. A successful candidate will combine hands on functional/technical skills with the ability to develop solutions and mentor a technical delivery team.
This individual will work with the System Owner to provide feedback and suggestions for process and product improvement and act as a technical mentor and adviser. As a part of an Agile team, they will assist in decision making that align both with the evolving needs of the business, our 5-year roadmap, and our reference architecture.
What you will do:
- Responsible for the development efforts for policy administration. Provide application development support for Duck Creek. Maintain and update documentation and artifacts for all supported systems.
- Provide application support and drive resolution of reported problems to customer satisfaction.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the PC insurance with very good understanding of underwriting, rating, insurance rules, forms, and preferably claims, billing.
- Collaborate and partner with vendors, creating a blended / unified team between internal development resources and external vendor resources.
- Acts as the lead developer for the team - defining best practices, defining standards, ensuring adherence to these, performing code reviews, participating in hands on coding, unit testing and debugging as required.
- Drives and conducts POCs as required.
- Partners with the delivery lead and delivery coordinator in a project/initiative to structure the work streams and plan for delivery of the solution. Includes estimating and assistance in work / activity assignment.
- Responsible for assuring solutions adhere and further the Enterprise Architectural standards and principles. Acts as a champion for reuse of assets in solution creation.
- Support implementation of solutions by analyzing current system environments and infrastructure, develop implementation plan and verification procedures, and ensure their execution to deliver successful installation of systems hardware/software.
- Engage when needed in maintenance and support activities being performed, as well as routine analysis and evaluation on resource requirements necessary to maintain and/or expand service level.
- Maintain system designs - application, technical, physical topologies.
- Develop and support code management practices and processes
- Analyze and tune application performance, supportability, and manageability.
- Liaise between technical and non-technical resource team members to answer day to day business questions either directly or indirectly as supported by the Business Leads and SMEs
- Establish and apply standard design/integration patterns including new/complex solutions
- Work with team members to research, define and execute system design for projects
- Mentors and lead other members of the development team
- Frequently interact with peers, equivalent level leaders and senior leaders on cross-functional matters
- Performs other related duties and activities as required
You will collaborate with:
The Lead Developer works very closely with the System Owner, Developers, Business Analysts and QA within the Digital Product team, in addition to architects and other stakeholders to provide development direction and support of the Digital Product products.
An insight into the team:
As a part of Commercial Lines Digital Strategy and Delivery, this team works as a highly effective, fast-paced delivery team and is recognized by its business partners as exceptional
What YOU will bring to C&F:
- Bachelor s degree in Business or Computer Science preferred
- 3+ years experience developing in industry standard programming languages (preferably .Net Core)
- 3+ years experience with database systems, SQL language and database design.
- Expert level knowledge of:
- Duck Creek Policy Administration product development and support
- Developing, and implementing complex integration business solutions
- Experience with transactional portals / ecommerce
- Senior level knowledge of:
- Microservices and design patterns
- Proficient in:
- Working with vendors, system integrators, and/ or in a managed service environment.
- Working in a hybrid agile mode with knowledge of Kanban, Lean and Test-Driven environments
- Developing technical documentation including storyboarding, UML, sequence diagrams, component diagrams, information flows, use cases and presentations
- Dedicated and detail oriented
- Dedicated and conscientious team player
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently across the organization on a regular basis
- Analytical skills
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and grow resource skills within a team environment
What would differentiate YOU even more:
- Experience with common system integration and services framework such as SOA
- Designing conversational API s
- Competitive compensation package
- Generous 401K employer match
- Employee Stock Purchase plan with employer matching
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Excellent benefits that go beyond health, dental & vision. Our programs are focused on your whole family s wellness, including your physical, mental and financial wellbeing
- A core C&F tenet is owning your career development, so we provide a wealth of ways for you to keep learning, including tuition reimbursement, industry-related certifications and professional training to keep you progressing on your chosen path
- A dynamic, ambitious, fun and exciting work environment
- We believe you do well by doing good and want to encourage a spirit of social and community responsibility, matching donation program, volunteer opportunities, and an employee-driven corporate giving program that lets you participate and support your community
At C&F you will BELONG
We value inclusivity and diversity. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and welcome everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.