The Lead DevOps Engineer is expected to have rich experience in cloud technologies across environments. The Lead DevOps Engineer will focus on designing and developing automation to support continuous integration and delivery processes. Responsibilities include maintaining and enhancing tooling in our CI/CD pipeline and supporting architecture. This position requires expertise in automation, building repeatable solutions working within and between development and operation teams to identify and implement process improvements for the benefit of customer-facing applications.
About the Job:
The DevOps team combines software and systems engineering to ensure the efficient and effective operation of Hibu's AWS cloud platform. The team researches and implements modern tools to orchestrate infrastructure deployments, systems and application configuration management and delivery of software. This position is ideal for a self-starter and quick learner with a love of infrastructure and automation who enjoys collaborative work on leading edge, cloud technologies.
- Function as a Lead technical resource to members of the DevOps Team
- Advise and direct the team on technology enhancements of delivery and orchestration platforms
- Research, design, and maintain DevOps release mechanisms for production and testing environments
- Set the standards for building and deployment of containerized applications across all environments utilizing best practices and modern technology.
- Design, implement, and optimize CI/CD pipelines
- Collaborate with Senior AppsDev team members to ensure proper implementation of CI/CD
- Work with DevOps team and other IT teams to troubleshoot issues, implement solutions and perform root cause analysis
- Desire to learn and take on new challenges
- Adhere to the change management methodologies within the organization
- Ensure high availability/disaster recovery capabilities for production systems
- Ensure that the proper controls and notification systems are in place
- Ensure current patch levels are maintained
- Strive to discover opportunities for improvement
- Other EKS deployments (other than containers)
- Be willing to work non-standard hours to implement production releases and when other needs arise
- Collaborate with the Applications Development team on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned
DevOps Engineers must integrate with members of the Application Development teams to be successful. The team also works closely with other infrastructure teams. The Lead DevOps Engineer may work with entry level staff up through senior level management / Executives and may also be responsible to engage with external vendors or business partners.
Technical skills to include but not limited to:
- Extensive experience with container orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, AWS ECS/EKS)
- Extensive experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins)
- Extensive experience with the Atlassian Tools (Jira, Bitbucket)
- Extensive experience with search and log analytics tools (Elasticsearch, Kibana)
- Working with service mesh technology (AppMesh)
- Extensive experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Extensive experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Jenkins, Terraform)
- Strong understanding of microservice architecture, applications, and supporting services
- Expertise with AWS (e.g. IAM, EC2, EMR, VPC, EBS, EFS, S3, ELB)
- Version control system experience (e.g. BitBucket)
- Operating System knowledge (Linux and Windows)
- Understanding of Java
- Extensive experience developing, maintaining, and testing DR procedures
- Effective oral and written communication skills
Measurement of Success:
- Demonstrated ability to make well thought-out decisions and implement practical solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, highly technical release management environment.
- Having a positive attitude.
- Strive to stay informed of industry trends and best practices.
- Demonstrate integrity, reliability and self-drive.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Document, share information and mentor others on technical concepts and best practices.
- Work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Collaborate with team members and external groups.
- Adhere to processes and procedures.
Experience, Qualifications, Technical Requirements, Education
- 8 to 10 years of experience in equivalent position
- Strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and technical knowledge
- Ability to prioritize without direct supervision
- Technical documentation
- Bachelor's degree
- ITIL certification