The Dyrt is the largest digital camping platform in the world. Every second, a new user visits The Dyrt to access our community-driven campground information.
If you love the outdoors and want to be part of a fast-growing consumer app, you're in the right place.
We are seeking a talented backend developer with a Ruby background to lead our API team as we solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you'll be working to evolve and maintain our API and other backend systems.
This position will report to the VP of Engineering.
We're looking for people who:
* Are great communicators - Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
* Work well both collaboratively and independently - We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
* Are ready to learn and share knowledge - Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
* Lead a team of 2-5 other backend developers working to evolve and maintain our core API and data pipelines.
* Collaborate on API design and architecture decisions
* Work closely with our frontend teams on the implementation of new product features
* Diagnose and troubleshoot issues in production
* Implement and maintain integrations with external services, such as Stripe, Iterable, Mapbox, and our campground partners
Experience and Requirements:
* 5+ years of backend development experience on production apps in Ruby, Python, Java, or a similar language.
* Experience managing developers and a desire to help your team flourish.
* A working knowledge of Ruby and familiarity with Rails
* A solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design
* Relational database skills - we use PostgreSQL views, triggers, and functions
* Experience with Elasticsearch
* Familiarity with JSON-API
The Dyrt is built by campers, for campers-whether you're new to camping or have been camping your whole life.
We encourage everyone to spend more time outside, including employees. We offer competitive market-rate salaries, a generous vacation plan, and we even pay employee bonuses for using The Dyrt in the wild.
This is a full-time remote position. Employees are expected to have high-speed internet and a professional working environment sufficient for clear video conferencing during regular working hours. Many of our employees work virtually from Portland, OR but we're flexible on location and encourage all to explore. Our founders even work from their van.
The Dyrt is an equal opportunity workplace. We are especially proud to have a female founder and a higher percentage of female employees than the national average for tech companies. We believe that the outdoors are for everyone, and are committed to building an inclusive platform and community that encourages, supports, and celebrates all people interested in camping.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt was started in Portland, OR, is venture-backed, and has 40-50 employees working virtually around the U.S.