Description About this role Data Operations Engineering (DOE)
When BlackRock was started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. They imagined a business that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to other financial firms. The result of their vision is Aladdin, our industry leading, end-to-end investment management platform. With assets valued over USD $7 trillion managed on Aladdin, our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Data is at the heart of Aladdin and increasingly the ability to consume, store, analyze and gain insight from data has become a key component of our competitive advantage. The DOE team is responsible for the data ecosystem within BlackRock. Our goal is to build and maintain a leading edge data platform that provides highly available, consistent data of the highest quality for all users of the platform, notably investors, operations teams and data scientists. We focus on evolving our platform to deliver exponential scale to the firm, powering the future growth of Aladdin.
Software engineers at BlackRock get to experience working at one of the most recognized financial companies in the world while being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technologies and solutions. Our engineers design and build large scale data storage, computation and distribution systems. They partner with data and analytics experts to deliver high quality analytical and derived data to our consumers.
We are looking for entry level software engineers who like to innovate and seek complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual. We are committed to open source and we regularly give our work back to the community. Engineers looking to work in the areas of data pipelines, discovery, storage, distribution, distributed computation, consumption and infrastructure are ideal candidates. Responsibilities
- Developers are expected to be involved from inception of projects, understand requirements, architect, develop, deploy, and maintain applications. Typically they work in a multi-disciplinary squad (we follow Agile!) which involves partnering with program and product managers to expand product offering based on business demands. Design is an iterative process, whether for UX, services or infrastructure. Our goal is to drive up user engagement and adoption of the platform while constantly working towards modernizing and improving platform performance and scalability.
- Deployment and maintenance requires close interaction with various teams. This requires maintaining a positive and collaborative working relationship with teams within DOE as well as with wider Aladdin developer community. Production support for applications is usually required for issues that cannot be resolved by operations team. Creative and inventive problem solving skills for reduced turn around times are highly valued.
- Preparing user documentation to maintain both development and operations continuity is integral to the role. Adhering to BlackRock's UX and design standards is expected and contributing towards upkeep of those standards is encouraged.
Skills that would be a plus
- Beginner or Junior experience using Python or Java
- Experience with Python frameworks like Django, Flask and Pandas
- Experience working with large volumes of time series data and building services, APIs and applications based of it
- Experience in designing multi-tier application architecture and distributed caching solutions
- Strong understanding of data modeling techniques
- Experience working with relational/non-relational databases and understanding of storage technologies (like MySQL, Sybase, MongoDB, InfluxDB, Cassandra or HBase)
- Experience with dev ops tools like Git, Maven, Jenkins
- Experience with Agile development concepts and related tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for learning and implementing new technologies
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with cloud technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack and Kafka
- Experience with web technologies like Angular 2+ (or React/Vue), TypeScript, RxJS
- Experience in the finance industry and knowledge of financial products/markets
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.