Responsible for handling a large volume of assigned litigation from inception through trial and to ensure all internal case handling and reporting requirements are consistent with NGIC's Litigation Philosophy and Litigation Management Guidelines. Provide the highest level of legal representation for National General Insurance. The ideal candidate for this role will need to be admitted to the NY and NJ Bars.
The applicant for this position should have extensive experience handling insurance coverage litigation in both New York and New Jersey State courts, as the potential hire for this position will be handling only coverage related litigation matters.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
- Answer summonses and complaints
- Initiate and respond to written discovery
- Prepare and respond to motions before the court
- Prepare for and attend all court appearances as necessary
- Prepare for [including written submissions] and attend arbitrations where appropriate
- Prepare for, schedule and conduct depositions and examinations under oath as necessary
- Prepare for and attend trials as necessary
- Maintain reporting procedures (i.e. file reviews, diary control)
- Research and analyze legal questions and issues
- Write confidential legal memoranda
- Draft confidential opinions
- Research and prepare post-trial motions and appeals
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable insurance law in the state of practice
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J.D. (Juris Doctor) Degree from an accredited US law school
- Maintain appropriate licensing and educational requirements
- 3+ years of experience in insurance coverage litigation.
- Experience in all phases of litigation (including trials to verdict) involving complex, high risk and/or high exposure cases
- Possess a strong understanding of insurance law, including the laws and rules governing civil practice in the state of practice
- Ability to analyze legal issues and identify relevant case opinions and facts, as well as the ability to interpret laws, rules and regulations
- Possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to provide concise, practical advice to non-lawyers
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write motions and legal prose with clear and cogent arguments
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Possess strong skills in attention to detail
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment, discretion and the ability to handle sensitive matters on a confidential basis
- Possess strong negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in Westlaw software
- Solid understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company, including the functions of other departments
- Experience in Legal Files case management software
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.
In the event you need assistance or accommodation in completing your online application, please contact NGIC main office by phone at .