Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.Job Summary:
Westat is seeking a Communication Specialist to join our dynamic, award-winning health communication team. We are seeking a professional with experience in project management, content development, public health partner engagement and technical assistance. The successful candidate should understand communications strategy, materials development, social media platforms, and communications research. Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health clients is highly preferred. Applications should include links to published work. Job Responsibilities:
• Manage a team of communication specialists in delivering strategic communications support to Federal clients.
• Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging public health topics, including chronic and infectious diseases, reproductive health, immunization, and addiction.
• Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (individuals, organizations, and state/local health departments) and plan and implement partner engagement events.
• Work with multimedia designers to create a range of print and electronic products, including brochures, infographics, reports, media materials, and videos.
• Support development and coordination of training and technical assistance to partners.
• Maintain client relationships, deliver strategic counsel, and proactively identify and propose solutions for project challenges.
• Assist with marketing and business development initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.Basic Qualifications:
• A Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field.
• A minimum of 8 years of experience providing communications and/or partnership engagement support for public health/healthcare communications programs. Preferred Qualifications:
• Communications or PR agency experience.
• Experience with multicultural marketing and communications.
• Experience supporting federal public health clients.
• Experience developing proposals.Minimum Qualifications:
• Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.