Who We Are
Kasa is building a global accommodations brand unlike any other. We took the best that hotels and short-term rentals had to offer and created a new class of hospitality that is affordable, trustworthy, and in convenient locations. Our guests enjoy seamless check-ins, spacious apartments and attractive amenities, helping them feel right at home. If anything comes up, our remote customer service is available 24/7, ensuring our hospitality is felt, not seen.
Behind the scenes, we leverage technology and innovative operations to build a globally scalable offering that delivers high quality stays. Our products and systems unlock unparalleled flexibility to operate anywhere from a few to a few hundred Kasas in any type of building, in just about any location. We currently have Kasas in over 17 states and are expanding into new markets all the time.
All of this is made possible by our team members, each of whom plays a critical role in fulfilling our vision and mission. We strive to foster a culture that values feedback, support, and collaboration throughout the organization. As a remote-first company, we work hard to bridge the gap of distance through initiatives that foster connection across Kasa. A few examples include engaging All-Hands meetings, department get-togethers (online and in person), and teamwide celebrations of important milestones. We encourage team members to stay at Kasa properties to experience our product firsthand and meet local team members when nearby. Guests are critical to Kasa's mission. Accordingly, every new **Kasa team member gets trained in Guest Experience during their onboarding.
Our team is fortunate to have diverse backgrounds, personalities, and experiences united by a commitment to excellence and passion for our industry. If Kasa's vision and culture speaks to you, and you're up for the challenge of building a company on the cutting edge of real estate, we would love to have you on our team!
Kasa is seeking a GM of Special Properties who will lead the company's push into new experimental property types beyond our core short term apartment rental focus. This dynamic and creative individual will holistically oversee new property experiments (which could include management of boutique hotels, international properties, student housing, and more) from deal signing through launch, ramp up, and ongoing operations, defining and hitting ambitious operational milestones while also documenting crucial new learnings for Kasa. You will coordinate resources from Kasa's existing teams where relevant, as well as designing and building new capabilities and solutions when relevant. As a true GM, this role will demand time spent on the ground "living the business" with extreme detail orientation, but will also require analytically rigorous strategic thinking to guide the Kasa leadership team through evaluations of each property, and decisions on whether to expand experiments.
This role will report to Kasa's Senior Director of Operations and work closely with departmental leaders and teams across the company, including operations, real estate, marketing/distribution, tech, finance, and legal/regulatory teams. Your efforts will open up massive new potential opportunities for Kasa as it unleashes the potential of livable space and we hope you're excited to make a big difference! This role is remote-friendly, with a small preference for Bay Area or NYC due to the location of early experimental property locations.About The Team
This role sits on Kasa's Operations team but encompasses activity that will take you well beyond operations. The Operations team is a dynamic group of property launch specialists, on-the-ground property operations gurus, and remote guest experience experts who collectively ensure that every Kasa property and every guest stay meets Kasa's high standard of excellence. The team is geographically diverse, spanning every US time zone as well as the Philipines, and also brings a diversity of experience and passion to the table. We constantly challenge our current way of operating in order to unlock new possibilities, and we foster a culture of deep empathy for each other as well as for our guests and partners that supersedes any particular day's challenges.
Day in the life of a Kasa GM of Special Properties
The GM of Special Properties will rarely have a repetitive day, week, or even month.
For each special property type, you will work with senior leaders to develop a set of operating goals that, if successful, give us the confidence to expand the experiment. You'll then propose necessary resources to achieve those goals, which could include bringing on additional headcount, hiring targeted consultants or contractors, making investments in new technologies or equipment, and bolstering the marketing and channel management approach. You'll view each property in the 6-month timescale - enough time to deploy and evaluate new plans, but with the urgency to prove or disprove your hypotheses without letting things drag.
As your properties get up and running, you'll make regular visits on-site to oversee a successful launch and ongoing operations, coach on-site personnel, document and roll out new opportunities, strengthen relationships with property partners, contractors, and where necessary, build ties to the local community. You'll balance "figurehead" and managerial roles with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and help to demonstrate by doing. You'll hold teams accountable for ambitious goals. In all cases, you'll be a conduit of accurate and impartial information back to all of Kasa's remote teams so that they can better serve the new property.
In the big picture, Kasa will be constantly evaluating, adding, and removing experiments from our active roster, so even the set of "special properties" will be ever-changing. You will spend time organizing and analyzing information about each experiment and recommending actions to the Kasa senior leadership team about each current and proposed experiment. At any given time, you should expect to manage up to 2-3 experiment "types" which could include up to half a dozen individual properties. As our experimental ambitions grow, the Special Properties team would grow to accommodate increased operational breadth.Experience
- 8+ years of experience in hospitality management & operations OR in a new business / incubated business role, including prior GM scope of responsibility
- You have experienced launching a major initiative or business that was brand new for the company you worked at
- You are a strategic leader who can take a set of goals and translate them into clear initiatives and actions and love the work of making your ideas actually come to life
- You have hired and managed team members and are able to make a compelling case for hiring based on well defined business needs
- You have a high level of independence and can make thoughtful decisions even in fast-paced, ambiguous operating environments
- You are obsessive about clear documentation of learnings, and always approach a problem with the mindset of how you could scale the solution to 100x the size
- You communicate with clarity and empathy and can deliver impactful presentations to both senior business leaders as well as daily operations staff
- Travel is part of your DNA and you have a passion for the real estate, tech, and hospitality industry
- You've worked in the hospitality industry at some point in your career
- You've worked for small and large enterprise companies
- You've hired and managed team members remotely
In one year, you will succeed at Kasa by having
- Successfully delivered at least one major new business line into Kasa (boutique hotels? student housing?) ready to be scaled up
- Earned the trust of senior leadership and departmental leaders to be a consolidation point for Kasa's experimental property efforts
- Laid out a roadmap of new capabilities and/or technologies Kasa should build to serve new property types and seen the first, highest priority items on the roadmap delivered
- Designed and implemented an experimental property review process that makes all impacted teams at Kasa feel included
- Remote Work With flexibility as a core value, and over three-quarters of the team working remotely, Kasa employees are able to work from anywhere!
- ✈ Kasa Travel Credit We love to travel! Kasa employees get an allowance of free stays with us in any of our locations, plus a 50% discount on any nights for friends and family
- Generous Stock Option Plan We believe the success of our business should be shared with our team. As you grow with us, we increase the opportunities for you to become part-owners of our company.
- Flexible PTO Full-time exempt Kasa employees are encouraged to take time off as they need and see fit, ensuring that it's not disruptive to their work
- Competitive Salary We offer base salaries at or above market rates plus additional earning opportunities based on the position
- Health Coverage We've invested in comprehensive health insurance options to help when you need it most
Kasa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.