Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share outdoor adventures. Driven by a love for nature and powered by our passionate community, komoot helps you explore more of the great outdoors—wherever and however you want. And we're good at it. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times. Today, with over 35 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews, we are well on our way to becoming the most popular app for finding, planning, and sharing outdoor adventures worldwide.
Join our fully remote team of freelance editors and start your adventure with komoot!
About the role
The backbone of komoot is a huge repository of route recommendations and outdoor tips — handpicked Highlights, popular Tours and tailored Collections — built by passionate editors with plenty of local knowledge and a wealth of experience in their sports. To help inspire our growing community with the best outdoor content, we’re looking to strengthen our existing editor team in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
This is a part-time, freelance, and fully-remote position. Editors are most successful in this role when they can offer a time commitment of between 20-30+ hours a week and are available for a longer-term working relationship.
What you will do
- Use your outdoor knowledge to create Sponsored Collections for our partners, such as associations, tourism regions, or brands (e.g. https://www.komoot.de/collection/2280768) or Editorial Collections following our topic roadmap based on official long distance hikes, runs, and rides (e.g https://www.komoot.de/collection/1099250)
- Research and plan amazing Tours on komoot, complete with inspiring Highlights, to form the basis of your Collections
- Review, polish, and set up new Highlights on the komoot map to bring your content to life and help our users plan their own adventures (https://www.komoot.com/help/highlights)
- Write engaging and grammatically flawless intro copy, Tour descriptions, and Highlight tips to tell the story of your Collections, as well as to provide practical information
- Regularly review and edit existing Tour, Highlight, and Collection content to keep it accurate and looking fresh
- Support your team with peer-proofreading and quality control
- Research images in our own database as well as from different external sources to bring your content to life
- Help with ad-hoc content tasks:
- Content support for our Media, B2B, Marketing, and event teams
- Localization of relevant Collections written by our existing editors in other countries for our German-speaking user base
- Quality checking and polishing of Collections created by our partners for our Discover Feed
Why you will love it
- You will utilize all of your greatest passions: The outdoors, researching, route-planning, and writing.
- Your content will inspire millions of people, from seasoned outdoor-lovers to novice hikers, runners, and cyclists; and it’ll help to further establish our community in Europe.
- We encourage you to work from wherever you want, be that on a beach, in the mountains, from home, or anywhere else.
- You will enjoy a creative and responsible role that offers a great amount of flexibility!
- The payment for this position works per task or Collection delivered. The average fee for a Collection which may take up to two days to complete is €300. The rate is the same regardless of where you are based. You’ll need to be set up as a freelancer where you live and be able to invoice us monthly.
Sounds like you?
We would love to hear from you! Please click the apply button and share with us:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- Your availability (hours/week)
- Your location
- Your answers to our questions (see the application)
You will be successful in this position if
- You have in-depth expertise of mountain biking, cycling, hiking or trail running, and you love to share your passion for the outdoors with like-minded people
- You love planning routes for yourself and your peers, and you are often already using komoot to do so
- You are comfortable doing online research about areas and routes that you are not familiar with
- You can write inspirational and grammatically correct copy
- In your region(s), you understand different access laws/countryside code of conduct or know where to find this information
- You are digitally-minded and always keen to adopt the latest tools to improve your own efficiency
- You have an eye for the right images to illustrate your route content
- You feel at home using Google Docs, project management tools, and content management systems
- You are available to work for komoot on a weekly basis and for a longer period of time, delivering about one Collection per week on average
- You are native in German (written and spoken) and fluent in English
- You are highly motivated, excited about taking on additional responsibilities, and are structured and target-oriented in your approach to tasks
- Experience with geographical databases, especially OpenStreetMap, will be a bonus