Federal Media Advocacy Manager
Area of Interest: Advocacy
Position Type: Full-time
***This is a remote position that can be home-based anywhere in the United States.***
Contribute to the strategy, planning, and execution of comprehensive advocacy communications activities, with a focus on proactive and reactive media relations, in support of the advocacy work of the American Cancer Society through its advocacy affiliate, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN). Specific areas of focus include: Palliative Care, Healthy Eating and Active Living and Childhood Cancer. Serve in an advisory role to ACS CAN team leaders, the Society’s Media Relations Department, and regional media advocacy staff.
- Contribute to all aspects of advocacy communications strategies that support the legislative, policy, and grassroots work of ACS CAN, with a particular focus on proactive and reactive media relations with reporters from national and Washington, DC-based outlets
- Participate in the research, drafting, copy editing, approval, and distribution of press releases, backgrounders, letters to the editor, and related materials to the media, Society and ACS CAN staff and volunteers, coalition partners, Capitol Hill press secretaries, and others as assigned
- Create and implement field media advocacy strategies including media toolkit and template creation to support ACS CAN federal priority campaigns.
- Serve as a liaison to media relations staff within the Marketing Communications Department, as well as other relevant American Cancer Society enterprise staff, to ensure coordination of ACS CAN’s media advocacy strategies and to promote the mention of advocacy work in ACS MarComm’s media relations efforts
- Assist in fielding and responding to media inquiries about ACS CAN’s advocacy efforts; conduct research and work with ACS CAN staff as necessary to respond to media requests; pitch stories about ACS CAN and its priority issues to national political and policy reporters; help to build contacts with reporters and build mailing lists of media advocacy contacts.
- Lead ACS CAN media coverage reporting efforts; monitor online databases and other resources for news stories featuring the organization and its work; develop regular media coverage updates for ACS CAN staff and other internal audiences; maintain media clip files; maintain and update coverage tracking guidance, develop media coverage reports for major organizational initiatives and events; and coordinate with regional media advocacy and ACS on their coverage tracking efforts.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of media advocacy strategies by regional staff nationwide, on the ACS CAN website, and through its social media channels
- Support team members executing media tours on priority advocacy campaigns and signature ACS CAN events.
- Serve on internal strategic workgroups
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science or related field
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and computer skills required; knowledge of politics and Congress essential; knowledge of cancer and/or other health care issues a plus
Specialized Training or Knowledge
- Two to five years of professional experience in media/public relations, journalism, or related field
Special Mental or Physical Demands
- Occasional travel may be necessary
- The starting rate is $61000-$76000 annual. The final candidate’s relevant experience/skills will be considered before an offer is extended. Actual starting pay will vary based on non-discriminatory factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, experience, skills, specialty, and education.
The American Cancer Society has adopted a vaccination policy that requires all staff, regardless of position or work location, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except where prohibited by state law).
ACS CAN provides staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental, retirement benefits, wellness programs, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills. Further details on our benefits can be found on our careers site at: jobs.cancer.org/benefits. We are a proud equal opportunity employer.