The Digital Strategy team at PG&E sits in the Customer Care organization and oversees projects on customer facing web properties such as pge.com and the Safety & Alert Center used during Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS). The team also oversees the notifications platforms that send text, email and phone calls to customers during regular operations and emergencies.
The Digital Strategy team is comprised of five core functions:
- Digital Strategy sets the vision for customer facing digital properties, providing governance and oversight for company-wide customer facing initiatives.
- Web Operations is comprised of the creative services team which handles a wide range of requests from copywriting and design projects, to content publishing and optimization.
- Digital Analytics collects and analyzes both quantitative and qualitative metrics for our online properties, providing real-time customer insights that inform everything we do.
- Web Product Management oversees all transactional, self-service functions to help ensure that customers can get outage information, pay their bill, request a service appointment, or manage their energy use.
- Supports Emergency Operations Center for customer notifications as part of Public Safety Power Shut-off Events
- The team is friendly, collaborative, nimble and creative and embodies an unwavering focus on the customer and dedication to the team's success. The team functions like a startup but within the context of a larger, mature organization. The team's methodologies are firmly rooted in e-commerce best practices, with access to the same tools and approaches used at many of the top retailers in the US. Pge.com was awarded the #1 rank out of 114 utility websites in a 2017 study by E Source and continues to be listed in the top 10.
- In 2020, PG&E strengthened the reliability of its digital properties for both everyday use and emergencies by moving pge.com into the cloud and building a dedicated cloud-based alert site for use during Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS). The sites were designed to withstand a minimum of 240 million hits per hour, helping ensure availability of the critical information customers need.
The Expert Copywriter is the lead point of contact for freelance copywriters engaged to support business needs. Serves as content strategist, guiding business partners on recommended web page content as part of PG&E's test and learn optimization efforts. Leads and facilitates the collaboration with designers, project managers and internal clients, in order to deliver polished copy under tight deadlines. Consults with internal clients/stakeholders to present unified consistent copy. Utilizes expertise in copywriting and communications to package and present quality written communications for the utility industry.
This position will be remote, with monthly/bi-monthly on-site meetingsJob Responsibilities
- Leads and works collaboratively with freelance copy writers and business partners, to facilitate the completion of small to medium sized copy writing projects. Including:
o Interview, hire, and manage freelance copywriters in support of business needs,
o Review work performed by outside agencies to ensure adherence to web brand guidelines
o Deliver clean, sharp creative messaging and compelling copy for diverse products
o Translate complex technical information into relatable general audience copy
- Write for digital assets including website pages, emails, banner ads, wireframes, iconography and infographics.
- Develops content strategy for web page optimization efforts. (i.e., create alternate versions of content to test to increase the effectiveness).
- Provides advice and counsel to freelance copywriter, agencies and/or other various internal/external leaders regarding web copy communication strategies and messaging for key programs and initiatives.
- Designs and develops in web content specific-focused communications for usage within a broad variety of media, contexts, and sources.
- Responsible for the performance and review of communication web copy content programs and initiatives.
- Establishes and implements strategic web copy communication and messaging plans.
- Ensures web copy communication programs, plans, and initiatives are aligned and consistent with PG&E branding principles, strategies, and guidelines.
- Sustains and advances freelance copy writing relationships aligned with PG&E goals and interests.
- Develops strategies and provides recommendations for the continuous improvement of web copy communication programs and initiatives.
- Evaluates recommendations for quality, and services maximization and costs minimization.
- Acts as a lead in the administration, execution, and monitoring of various web copy communications programs, projects, and tasks.
- Provides training, guidance, and instruction to freelance copy writers and other communications business partners.
- Reviews recommendations for the continuous improvement of communication programs and monitor performance progress and objectives.
- Acts as a senior lead and/or subject matter expert (SME) in the administration, execution, and monitoring of various cross-functional web content communications programs, projects, and tasks.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Writing or related field
- 7 years' of web copywriting or related experience in an e-commerce environment
- 7+ years' creative, advertising, interactive agency experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, as well as WordPress
- Knowledge of web systems including CMS
- Understanding of SEO and metadata requirements
- Experience with A/B or multivariate testing online
- Ability to take written information about technical subjects and formulate questions in order to achieve the level of knowledge needed to write pieces understood by a general audience
- Ability to comprehend hierarchy for headlines, subheads and body copy
- Ability to adapt writing to PG&E's brand and editorial guidelines
- Ability collaborate and provide solid level confidence to clients and internal team
- Possess an "eagle eye" for details in spelling, grammar and language to ensure site consistency
- Self-starter with the ability to tackle projects with minimal up-front direction