We're seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to join our Mobile Applications team.
The salary for this role in the United States is $185,000 - $205,000.
The salary for this role in Canada is CAD$144,000 - $168,000.
Please note that for this Engineering Manager, Mobile Applications role, we are only considering candidates based in the specific U.S. states and Canadian provinces we support. You can find the list of available U.S. and Canadian locations at the bottom of this job posting.
About the Team
Kickstarter’s product development team builds the platform that helps bring creative projects to life.
We're a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, data analysts, and community specialists working collaboratively using iterative, data-driven, and outcome oriented approaches to solve problems.
Our work touches every area of the platform as we develop new features and functionality. Our ability to develop valuable, maintainable and useful solutions opens up more opportunities for creators and backers to bring creative projects to life.
We build features on modern mobile applications built in Swift, Objective C, Java, and Kotlin all backed by a GraphQL API. We use iterative and data-driven processes to build and refine our platform that supports our mission of bringing creative projects to life.
In this role, you will:
- Supervise iOS and Android engineers and provide people management support (including coaching, career development, and performance management). Engineering managers at Kickstarter are full-time people managers and do not ship code changes.
- Work with partner Product Managers and Product Designers to plan, communicate, and execute mobile application strategies and technical system roadmaps that advance Kickstarter's company goals.
- Work with the head of engineering and peer Engineering Managers to proactively identify opportunities to develop and recommend department-wide process and culture, and then individually ensure the department-wide success of those improvements.
- Effectively coach and provide growth feedback to other managers on the engineering team where appropriate.
- Ensure all direct reports understand and can effectively act on company- and team-level strategies.
- Proactively identify and resolve communication, organization or execution problems, often using persuasion or wielding indirect authority to do so.
- Clearly and effectively communicate about team opportunities, challenges, needs, and accomplishments upward and outward in the organization.
- Remain informed of mobile ecosystem changes and App Store/Play Store guidance as well as mechanisms necessary to ship mobile applications to these app stores.
- Build, lead, and develop team members; work with them to define their career development plans, setting specific goals, monitoring and providing feedback on performance, and motivating them to achieve results as part of their growth.
- Lead inclusively and foster a safe environment.
- Engage in people management related tasks in support of Kickstarter's policies and processes.
- You have at least 2+ years of prior experience developing and managing iOS and/or Android engineers, maintaining a high bar for performance across the organization.
- You have hands-on experience with iOS and/or Android release processes.
- You have the ability to interpret company- and organization-level goals and map them to well-defined, team- or mobile-specific execution plans.
- You have the ability to write correct, well-tested software for supervisory purposes.
- You have the knowledge of, or willingness to learn, core Kickstarter mobile and backend technologies (Swift, Kotlin, Ruby on Rails, MySQL) for supervisory purposes.
- Prior professional experience as an iOS or Android engineer is highly preferred.