Your Role & Mission
As an Engineering Manager, you will have the critical leadership role of enabling excellence, productivity, and growth within Apollo's engineering organization. You crave the opportunity for hands-on mentorship, and to accelerate not only your career, but for those of your team as well. Your responsibility would come in several forms, including but not limited to:
- Help the team define, set, and adhere to goals and expectations
- Drive a culture around excellence, learning, and fun
- Critically observe and improve development and management processes within Apollo engineering
- Work closely with key stakeholders such as the CTO, Product Managers, and Designers to deliver high quality software at a rapid pace for an ever-increasing user base
- Change, and be a part of key decision-making processes within the engineering organization
Daily Adventures and Responsibilities
- Participation in key technical decision-making discussions such as sprint planning, software design, and occasionally code reviews
- Help build and scale a world-class engineering team by sourcing and hiring candidates
- Hold systematic weekly 1:1 touch points with engineers to deliver and receive quality feedback
- Work with engineers to develop and execute on personalized goals
- Conduct objective and helpful quarterly performance reviews for engineers
- You love scaling up through well-written documents and well-defined processes. As a remote first company, documentation is critical to our hyper-growth and success.
- You are compassionate, put people first as a mentor, and are tactful with both accepting and delivering criticism to others.
- You have the leadership skills to think and execute strategically but are not afraid to get your hands dirty when needed.
- Your technical understanding of engineering systems, especially related to data, is second to none.
- You can relate to and admire Apollo’s values of Ownership, Integrity, Curiosity, Excellence, Teamwork, and Fun
Skills and Relevant Experiences
- 8+ years of hands-on software engineering industry experience. You will be leading a team of multiple senior and staff level engineers so you need to be technically very strong.
- 3-5 years' experience in people management, preferably leading senior engineers and managers.
- Proven track record of technical leadership. Strong fundamentals in software architecture at scale, effective engineering processes, and cross-team function.
- Experience with Ruby and Python
- Understanding of data privacy and security fundamentals.
Great to have
- Familiarity with React, MongoDB, SQL, data warehousing, and ElasticSearch.
- Experience with data platforms (Snowflake, Databricks, Airflow, Looker, etc.).
- Experience within the activation space
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack is React/Redux/NextJS on the front end, Ruby/Python/MongoDB/Elasticsearch/Redis on the backend, and Kubernetes/Docker/Terraform for infrastructure.