As Engineering Manager at Remote, you will manage a team of Team Leaders. Your job is to align vision across multiple teams, track progress, and improve deliverability and productivity. You will take an active role in designing your organization and hiring new team members.
If you don’t have experience managing other managers, consider applying for our Team Leader role.
You'll be joining 100+ engineers across Frontend, Backend, SRE, Data and QA. We're organized into cross-functional development teams assigned to specific verticals.
Your teams will be working on building tools, APIs and integrations for our platform. Our backend is built with Elixir and Phoenix, with a Postgres database. We use Typescript, React and Nextjs for our front-end. Gitlab is used as version control tool and CI/CD solution. Our applications are hosted on AWS. We fully rely on our CI for deployments and deploy multiple times per day.
What this job can offer you
- Leading multiple distributed teams of backend and frontend engineers. You can trust them to take ownership of their daily tasks and challenges as you work closely with the Product Manager and stakeholders on the product roadmap and defining the problems to solve.
- Complex and meaningful challenges — solving them will enable people and businesses to live and operate in any country of the world.
- Opportunity to have a significant impact on the business — we are still very early in our journey as a company, and each change you make today is amplified by the company's growth.
- A lot of freedom to organize your work and life — you are not bound to daily standups or other ceremonies. We expect you to have regular 1:1s with your team members, but you can organize them around your schedule.
- A supportive and kind work environment where you can grow and challenge yourself to do your best work.
- Pragmatic and product-focused Engineering culture — read more about our practices and work ethic.
- Competitive salary, stock options, unlimited PTO, a generous learning budget, and a set of other perks and benefits.
What you bring
- Experience leading two or more engineering teams of 2+ engineers for at least 1 year
- Good understanding of team dynamics, coaching, and mentoring
- Significant experience as a Frontend or Backend Engineer, which includes building, shipping, and maintaining a complex software project
- Solid knowledge and experience in Elixir and Postgres (or similar technologies)
- Experience in dealing with ambiguity, working together with stakeholders on taking abstract concepts and turning them into working software
- Strong ability to work independently and self-guided
- Great communication and project management skills
- Curiosity and willingness to learn and develop
- You'll report to: Engineering Director
- Direct reports: 2-5 Engineering Team Leads
- Team: Engineering
- Location: Anywhere in the world
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote's Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and fair equity pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labor practices and therefore we ensure to pay above in-location rates. We hope to inspire other companies to support global talent-hiring and bring local wealth to developing countries.
At first glance our salary bands seem quite wide - here is some context. At Remote we have international operations and a globally distributed workforce. We use geo ranges to consider geographic pay differentials as part of our global compensation strategy to remain competitive in various markets while we hiring globally.
The base salary range for this full-time position is $71,500 - $241,400. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location, and our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay for the successful candidate in this role is dependent upon many factors such as location, transferable or job-related skills, work experience, relevant training, business needs, and market demands. The base salary range may be subject to change.
Roughly 6 hours across 6 weeks
- Interview with recruiter
- (async) Take home challenge — you will analyse a complex situation in your team and explain how you would approach it. All in writing.
- (async) Challenge Review
- Interview with Hiring Manager
- Interview with team members
- Executive Interview
- Prior employment verification check (Read more at remote.com/employment-checks)