8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
The Director, Engineering will lead a team of Engineering associates responsible for identifying, championing, and building web products and capabilities that allow us to meet consumer and business needs. Your primary goal is to lead, mentor, inspire and develop a high-performing team of Engineers delivering impactful and innovative solutions that transform multiple facets of our business and position CarMax as a best-in-class technology company. You will partner with senior leaders in Strategy, Operations, Analytics, User Experience and Product Management to manage and grow a cross-functional team that is progressive, efficient, and highly engaged.
In this role, you will drive the Engineering strategy and development of core technology capabilities. You will help us to modernize our technology platforms, enabling our product teams to create exceptional Customer and Associate experiences. Key examples of focus areas that you may own include overseeing teams responsible for building out our microservices layer, moving from decentralized to cloud-based solutions and rebuilding applications used in our stores. You will partner closely with Product Management and Architecture to ensure that technology modernization efforts align with the vision of the company and provide flexibility for future, rapid growth. You will also play a key role in helping us to evolve our platform and capabilities-building practices.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
Vision and Strategic Leadership
- Define, articulate, and champion Engineering principles to support the product portfolio vision
- Communicate a clear vision to senior executives and other stakeholders that simplifies Engineering complexity and generates excitement
- Define goals and KPMs for short-term and long-term results and drive the team to achieve them
- Establish and maintain the Engineering roadmap for the full product portfolio, and make/govern prioritization decisions
- Maintain strong relationships with key business partners and senior executives to ensure product Engineering plans are aligned with company objectives/plans
- Maintain a deep understanding of Engineering practices, consumer behaviors, the competitive landscape and technology trends to shape strategic decisions, plans and priorities
Engineering Oversight and Practices
- Establish, train and govern the standards and practices for exceptional Engineering leadership
- Direct and oversee the teams' activities to ensure Engineering best practices are consistently followed among product teams
- Stay current on all the leading Engineering tools, principles and practices, and advocate for continuous improvement that makes sense for CarMax
- Lead and facilitate organized and productive meetings with all levels of associates and executives
- Partner with leaders in User Experience, Strategy and Product Management to establish and refine leaner, more iterative and collaborative processes across the full product development lifecycle
- Provide prioritization decisions and oversight on Engineering opportunities and product backlogs
- Monitor and communicate performance against goals; identify and drive improvement opportunities
Team Leadership and Development
- Build and coach a team of talented associates to deliver on the vision and standards and to be strong Engineers, collaborators, and communicators
- Attract, recruit and retain a strong bench of skilled and engaged associates
- Create clear role expectations and leverage industry standards to move the Engineering practices forward
- Develop associates to reach their full potential - understand their goals and needs, partner in their development, provide advice, feedback, training and advocacy
- Manage Engineer resourcing for product roadmap that aligns with business needs and associate growth goals
Qualifications and Requirements
- Proven technology leader with experience building and managing highly engaged teams
- Passionate about web/technology
- Persuasive communicator - able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
- Good listener - weighs input from multiple perspectives when forming opinions and recommendations
- Collaborative and team-oriented work approach
- Experience gaining consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
- Experience managing, training and mentoring others in Engineering methodologies and best practices.
- Able to easily motivate and inspire team members, peers, stakeholders and executives
- Innovative; thinks beyond boundaries
- Analytical; solves problems at root cause and prioritizes effectively
- Continuous improvement mentality; never satisfied
- Comfortable speaking to large audiences and executives
- Flexible and open-minded; proactively seeks input from others
- Entrepreneurial drive and spirit; enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Handles constructive criticism with ease; adapts easily and efficiently to change
Work location is flexible if approved by the Company except that position may not be performed remotely from Hawaii or Colorado
Education and/or Experience:
- BA/BS Degree required. Master's Degree a plus.
- 10+ years' experience in consumer Web Product Management or related field. E-Commerce experience a plus.
- 3+ years' experience managing direct reports
- Experience with lean/agile development processes
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
CarMax is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe, welcoming, and inclusive work environment.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, and any other characteristics protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.