Director, Codes and Standards (remote)
The National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) represents every segment of the propane industry. As the Director of Codes and Standards, reporting to the Vice President & Chief Technical Officer, you will have a national and global impact, using your knowledge, technical, and advocacy experience to support us in addressing the complex challenges facing the propane industry today. This is a highly visible and respected role where you will influence future standards, interface with all levels of NPGA staff and board, and connect with organizations across the country.
This role is ideally suited for either a codes & standards professional or for a professional engineer or patent prosecution attorney looking for a career transition.
The Work You'll Do
Working closely with the Vice President and Chief Technical Officer and Director of Research and Technology, you will serve as an influential subject matter expert, advocating on behalf of NPGA membership for the development of fair and progressive codes and standards across the energy sector. In representing NPGA, you will:
- Advocate before numerous codes- and standards-setting bodies in favor of conventional and renewable propane to ensure energy choice.
- Work with NPGA committee members to develop new and revised codes and standards proposals to further the usage and safety of propane and related equipment.
- Develop coalitions with like-minded industry associations to work toward common goals and use your deep understanding of the industry to advise NPGA members on nationally recognized codes and standards, including those from the National Fire Protection Association, the International Code Council, and others.
- Support the Vice President and Chief Technical Officer with managing committee activities, including preparing and maintaining records, developing technical and advocacy content, and working with members to prepare high-quality documents.
- Liaise with our sister organization, the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC), and collaborate on a range of projects, including serving as a resource on the codes and standards related to research and development for end-use, transportation, storage, and handling equipment.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You'll enjoy working primarily from your home office with frequent domestic travel (between 10-15 trips annually) to represent the propane industry in developing nationally recognized codes and standards, meet partners to build coalitions, attend board meetings, visit state and regional member associations, and represent NPGA at industry events.
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $115K - $130k with an annual discretionary merit-based bonus and outstanding benefits package including 15 days of PTO + 14 paid holidays, medical/dental/vision plans, a generous retirement plan, a mobile phone subsidy, and more.
- You will like who you work with. Your colleagues are highly respected industry experts, and our members are fantastic. Many of our members are family-owned, family-friendly companies that are welcoming and appreciative of our work. Our experienced team will support you as you come up to speed.
- Advocate for NPGA policy while developing nationally recognized codes and standards, including but not limited to:
- NFPA 58 LP-Gas Code
- NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1 National Fuel Gas Code
- International Code Council Model Codes
- Z21/83, CSA, ASHRAE, ASTM, and Underwriters Laboratories codes and standards
- Work with the 36 regional and state associations that are affiliated with NPGA to advocate for industry-advantageous codes and standards.
- Work with NPGA's other pillars of advocacy (federal legislative, federal regulatory, and state & municipal advocacy) as well as NPGA's sister organization (PERC) on cross-functional matters where codes and standards expertise is warranted.
- Work with related organizations on common interests, including but not limited to the American Gas Association; the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association; the American Public Gas Association; the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers; and the Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute.
- Review and provide draft material in response to proposals relating to vehicle engines, appliance energy efficiencies, and other technical issues related to propane transportation, storage, and handling.
- Represent NPGA and engage members in meetings with the Technology, Standards, and Safety Committee.
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to develop informative reports, documents, and other membership materials.
- Periodically provide seminars to NPGA members and affiliated state propane gas associations to update them on new editions and changes to codes and standards.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (chemical, environmental, or mechanical is ideal) or a related scientific field is required.
- MS, PE license, or JD with admittance to the patent bar is preferred.
- Experience working in a regulatory environment or a codes and standards development organization or a related field is advantageous but not required.
- Familiarity with environmental standards and and safety compliance within the energy industry is advantageous but not required.
- Very sharp eye for reviewing and drafting complex written materials.
- Keen ability to advocate for a position in writing and orally.
- Ability to travel domestically 8-12 times per year.
Next to solar and wind, propane-and increasingly, renewable propane-is one of the cleanest fuels approved under the Clean Air Act. The National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) is the national trade association representing the US propane industry. We represent members from 2,500 companies in all 50 states, 36 affiliated state or regional associations, and 19 foreign countries. Our work pushes the propane industry forward by advancing safety and sound public policy.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Lilly Khan at with "NPGA - Director, Codes and Standards SA" as the subject of the email.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.