Purpose of Job We are looking for a Director Business Risk and Controls to Oversee, Lead and Manage Issue Management within the Bank's Risk Center of Excellence group.
REMOTE (work from home) available
Oversees a team responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of programs that support effective risk and compliance management in the first line of defense. Supports business leader adherence to the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls and is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team responsible for risk and control self-assessments, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring the of first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk and control management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, risk infrastructure development, risk identification, quantification, aggregation, and emerging risks.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk and internal control professionals through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external clients regarding budget and implementation deliverables and risk mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated with new or modified products, services, distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party operations.
- Reviews, communicates, and recommends the development of governance policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAA's risk profile.
- Educates risk owners on risk/control best practices and may work with other lines of defense in the development and implementation of controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures, as necessary.
- Assists in the early identification of risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and risk indicators.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies, and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Bachelor's Degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or related field of study OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities in a financial services operating environment or other relevant industry OR 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative discipline OR advanced degree or designation in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities OR PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related activities.
- 3 years of direct team lead or people management experience.
- Knowledge of federal laws, rules, regulations, and applicable guidance to include: TILA/REG Z, REG E, REG F, REG B, REG CC, UDAAP/UDAP, FCRA, BSA/AML, SCRA/MLA, OCC Heightened Standards
- Extensive experience with Issue Management within a Retail/Consumer Bank environment.
- Prior experience in the identification of efficiencies with programmatic processes
- Project Management experience
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $106,800 - $192,300* ( this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential : Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is available for this position.